Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sick for a day

User Info Menu

Re: Sick for a day

All use the masks/snorkle on the boat? I know most people do, but I just can't. Bring my own or don't snorkel.

User Info Menu

Same location, our own snorkels, drinking and cooking with bottled water 1/2 way through this trip. Snorkeled the rocks and the beach and each location provided the same results, the next day. Can't say for sure but maybe the river gives up more than the sea can handle.

User Info Menu

Lol, your last post is sacralidge on this board, The river is NEVER to be blamed. Earlier this year we where there when the water was brown all the way up past Rondel vlg. and the ppl that know it all claimed that it wasn't sewage from the treatment plant near the golf course. Yet every lake beach i have ever been to on the Great Lakes when it rained heavily and the rivers overflowed into them where almost always closed for swimming due to high bacteria counts so I would def. feel that it could be highly possible the river could be the source of your ailment. Has it rained there heavily recently? I hope you feel better.

User Info Menu

Where specifically were you snorkeling?

User Info Menu

Some people we met last year said the salt water is a natural laxative. Can't speak for the other end of the problem
    Bar b barn '10 Catcha '11 BCC '13 Moonlight 14' Xtabi 14' HSH 15' Catcha 15'

Administrator

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about this, glad to know your group feels better now. Hundreds if not thousands of visitors snorkel everyday. In all the years this board has been in operation (since 1997) nothing like this has ever been reported from snorkeling.

For a single day illness to happen two years in a row to an entire group seems to be a odd thing. But since you were together as a group, other possible causes could be sun poisoning issues, mishandled food issues, booze issues or even a flu that anyone in the group may have brought with them. The common sharing of a spliff can make everyone sick if just one person has the flu. Even if you dont partake, you can still pass the flu through other means.

And since the gag reflex is automatic, for each of the snorkelers to actually ingest enough saltwater, which is not the tastiest thing in the world, would be rather rare occurrence unless the group is rather small and inexperienced.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Too much fresh fruit, fruit juice, booze, beer, spicy food, in any and all combinations can cause this "disruption in the force". Most people "giv'er hell" the first few days of a trip, then start to relax into the island life.

From my experience, peaks and valleys are not good. Better off doing things at a steady pace. That is how we came up with these words of wisdom - "Can't say you drank all day unless you start first thing in the morning". That is why us Wisconsin people have a bloody mary BEFORE breakfast. No peaks and valleys that way ............... slow and steady ! !

Remember - DRINK WISCONSINBLY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oil View Post
    Too much fresh fruit, fruit juice, booze, beer, spicy food, in any and all combinations can cause this "disruption in the force". Most people "giv'er hell" the first few days of a trip, then start to relax into the island life.

From my experience, peaks and valleys are not good. Better off doing things at a steady pace. That is how we came up with these words of wisdom - "Can't say you drank all day unless you start first thing in the morning". That is why us Wisconsin people have a bloody mary BEFORE breakfast. No peaks and valleys that way ............... slow and steady ! !

Remember - DRINK WISCONSINBLY
    Lol CapO... yes, we 'Sconnies do bring a lot of well earned and learned experience to the party, don't we? But hope the OP's group has recovered sufficiently to enjoy the rest of their Rock time, albeit at a more relaxed pace.

User Info Menu

Name:  drink hoodie.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  6.9 KB

Don't need a hoodie in JA and the "bottle pocket" too narrow for a Red Stripe, but it gives you an idea on our creative thinking

User Info Menu

We came home sick one year to the point where my husband saw a doctor who said it was likely from eating something. We definitely "Eat Wisconsinably" so I always bring immodium with!