Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chikungunya oh ya its real

User Info Menu

Re: Chikungunya oh ya its real

That's why I canceled my trip for this year. .last 15 years we have been there for Xmas. Boy I am going to miss it..

User Info Menu

This has me concerned. I'm planning on traveling to Negril in February with my mom who is currently taking chemo. She will get a 2 week break for our trip but I'd hate for her to get sick. I'll have her discuss with her doc.

User Info Menu

While I am sure it is real, I just think some folks are more susceptible to the possibility of getting it.

My wife gets eaten alive every trip. She was using off with deet pretty heavily this trip, not many bites. I used off the first day, pretty much forgot about it after that, and zero bites the whole vacation. We have had so many trips where her legs look like she has been rolling around in thorn bushes, and if I am getting bit, there is zero reaction. One year, at pushcart for dinner, we were sitting 2 feet from one another, and the mosquitoes turned her into an all you can eat buffet. I got zero bites.

User Info Menu

I have no doubt it is for real, but I agree with Hussyband, some people are more susceptible. I leave Sunday and I do not have any doubts about how much I want to go. I generally am not bothered much by bites, but I am taking deet wipes with me. Pon da cliffs, there has not been much trouble in my past trips. I hope that is the case this year. I am prepared. So, going to take the risk. Pray nothing will happen but I couldn't give up this trip up on a bet! To me, I have my flu shot which is a big deal this time of year...now, just ready to enjoy the moments of my vacation to the max. Life is always a chance, this one, I am willing to take. I need my annual trip to Negril as much as plants need water.
    I am off on Sunday for fun in the sun. If by chance anything happens, you guys will be the first to know. Blessings to everyone and enjoy!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Luckily I also do not seem to be bothered by mosquitos.. I am prepared with plenty of spray and wipes which I will religiously during the day. I also purchased a few packages of these bracelets.. I have read mixed reviews about them but most claim that they seem to work, they are waterproof and are supposed to last up to 200 hours

http://www.livingpestfree.com/index....bands-3pk.html
    [http://daisypath.com]

User Info Menu

I would definitely not take the chance

User Info Menu

We still have not had Chikungunya....live here 24/7....been to Kingston twice a month for the last few months where it is more common..live in the country where the eradication/fogging hasn't been as prevalent as the beach areas or major cities like Montego Bay, Ocho Rios or even Negril....I'm a mosquito magnet....
    we spray once in the morning on a fairly regular basis and this obviously seems to be working for us...it appears you need to be diligent with the mosquito spray!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by begels View Post
    This has me concerned. I'm planning on traveling to Negril in February with my mom who is currently taking chemo. She will get a 2 week break for our trip but I'd hate for her to get sick. I'll have her discuss with her doc.
    begels,

Consulting her doctor can be the absolute best thing you can do. While Chick-V generally has symptoms of a bad flu, those with a weak immune symptom can face much worse symptoms. And please be sure that her doctor does research as this was until recently not known about in the western hemisphere.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Been home for a week. We got lucky. We made sure we sprayed every morning before leaving the room and again around noon, and as always at dusk.

Be vigilant. We ran into a few expats that had gotten the Chik-V and they all agreed, that it sucked.

User Info Menu

As of Dec 5th, there's already been 74 cases in Mexico, some cases in Florida...looks like no matter where we go to vacation away from the cold, there's risk. Just have to be diligent with spraying.