Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chikungunya oh ya its real

User Info Menu

Re: Chikungunya oh ya its real

There is a lot of info on the internet about Chikungunya. I was visiting my physician the other day and mentioned Chikungunya to him, as this has been mentioned to do on many of the sites. I ended up explaining to him what Chikungunya is. Prevention sounds like the best advise.

User Info Menu

Friends just left and couple days later one was down with the aches and fever….not enough bug spray in the daytime, and spent a night in hotel before they moved them to room with screens on the window. I cannot say enough about inquiring about mesh on the windows! It is affecting everyone differently and certainly NOT everyone. Watch CDC for updated information...

User Info Menu

I canceled. . Have you ever been to Negril? ..it is NOT the place to get really sick..I have been going for 31 years so I don't say this lightly..

User Info Menu

Okay been home since nov 23 turned sick nov 25 still going to bed with heating pad ibuprofen. Shooting pains in arms and calves...numb fingers in morning...once I get moving I feel better but nights are painful. My right arm is the worst. Drs here not familiar with this at all. Tonite of bloodwork..not sure if I will get a 100% diagnosis or not but of 10 symptons I had all of them. I also not a mosquito magnet. Dont react to bites if I get them. This totally sucked and still does. Hoping pain is gone before my next negril visit...really hope I'm immune now or I would rethink my vacation plans

User Info Menu

My dad just cancelled his trip to Kingston in February. Just about everybody he has spoken to has had Chick V from mild symptoms to very severe symptoms. I am still going Jan 30th and just plan to take extra precaution and spray down with Off throughout the day and night. There are no screens on the windows where I stay but I do use the AC.

I've read the reports on CDC and also information all over the web. The one question that I can't seem to find the answer to is how often do you use bug spray throughout the day and night? I read, before going out put on sunscreen then bug spray but if you are on the beach all day and in and out of the sea, do you spray every time you get out?

User Info Menu

Wondering the same thing. I suspect every time you get wet or rinse off you would need to reapply. My deep woods off says nothing about being waterproof. I don't think I have ever seen a daytime mosquito in the sun on the beach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    I've read the reports on CDC and also information all over the web. The one question that I can't seem to find the answer to is how often do you use bug spray throughout the day and night? I read, before going out put on sunscreen then bug spray but if you are on the beach all day and in and out of the sea, do you spray every time you get out?
    My advice is not professionally based of course, but from living here daily and not getting chikungunya.
    We live in a country area....we've been in Kingston quite regularly and for days at a time...
    To prevent being bit....we've been spraying once in the morning and spray in the early evening if we are out and about...
    If we've been in the sea or had an afternoon shower we've always reapplied.

We've also noticed that less and less people are contracting chik v in the Kingston area....as most have already contracted chik v and it can only be actively spread in its early stages. The eradication efforts around the island seem to be having a major impact on reducing the number of cases also.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 12-16-2014 at 09:56 AM.

User Info Menu

I saw that embury when she was sick.. and she looked awful... even her tan was sucked away...... not a disease to be messed with...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Just to reiterate, we live here and have still not got it, we do apply mozzie spray in the morning and again in the evening. We have traveled all over the island, spending much time in the Kingston area during the ChickV infection height in October and early November. We never contracted it just as hundreds of thousands of others have not.

The island wide eradication efforts that were paid for by the state of emergency funds that became available have been doing much to stop the spread.

We know people who have had ChickV. For many, it acts and feels like a 3 day flu. First day you feel a little off, second day you cant get out of bed with fever and joint pain, and the third day you begin to feel better.

Others seem to have a type that lingers, you start feeling better but then pain returns to areas of your body that you previously had injured. Say you broke your ankle 20 years ago, pain will flare back up in that area and you can feel fine everywhere else. It is hard to say if it is a different strain or just effecting people differently because of the differences in immune systems. There seems to be very little obvious common factors.

We know thousands that have not contracted it, and the snowbirds we know who contracted it seemed to have gotten it almost immediately off the plane and were generally not using bug spray. It is not something you want to get, so use your mozzie spray often and reapply as necessary like when you get out of the water or after a shower.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

On all of my trips to Negril, I ask housekeeping if I can use their bug spray. I spray the entire the room. I leave for a couple of hours. When I come back to my room, I see the mosquitoes on the floor. I spray myself all day with repellent. This method seems to help for me.