Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chikungunya oh ya its real

User Info Menu

Re: Chikungunya oh ya its real

this is the latest in the states. Sounds like the prevention methods are working, so hopefully it will lead to a lower amount of cases:
    http://www.edition.cnn.com/2014/12/1...html?hpt=hp_c5

User Info Menu

We just returned from Negril, 12 days. I was worried about the Chick - V also and brought along lots of things to make me feel more comfortable and I'm happy to report none of us (16 in all) were affected. I brought along Eucalyptus/Lemon oil with my diffuser. I ran the diffuser in the morning in our room and it made a difference. One morning I did not use it and was bitten 3 times. I kept this oil as a stand by when Off with Deet was not with us. We also loaded up on vitamin C when we there. We brought tylenol and glucosamine in case someone got sick. We sprayed Deet every morning before heading to the beach and again before sunset. Be vigilant. Go on vacation! Since we did not need the tylenol or joint relief (glucosamine) we left it with friends to share if someone else needed it. It did not rain the entire time we were there. I read the weather is helping to reduce the number of mosquitos also/less or no standing water.

User Info Menu

my guess is the fewer bites are due to the spraying. ironically begs you to spray less. so question: sun lotion prior to spray or vice versa? Id imagine spray last.

User Info Menu

What type of diffuser? Sounds like it was electric.

Quote Originally Posted by irienegril View Post
    We just returned from Negril, 12 days. I was worried about the Chick - V also and brought along lots of things to make me feel more comfortable and I'm happy to report none of us (16 in all) were affected. I brought along Eucalyptus/Lemon oil with my diffuser. I ran the diffuser in the morning in our room and it made a difference. One morning I did not use it and was bitten 3 times. I kept this oil as a stand by when Off with Deet was not with us. We also loaded up on vitamin C when we there. We brought tylenol and glucosamine in case someone got sick. We sprayed Deet every morning before heading to the beach and again before sunset. Be vigilant. Go on vacation! Since we did not need the tylenol or joint relief (glucosamine) we left it with friends to share if someone else needed it. It did not rain the entire time we were there. I read the weather is helping to reduce the number of mosquitos also/less or no standing water.

User Info Menu

Yes, spray last.

Quote Originally Posted by bambinobu View Post
    my guess is the fewer bites are due to the spraying. ironically begs you to spray less. so question: sun lotion prior to spray or vice versa? Id imagine spray last.

User Info Menu

I read sunscreen first then spray. What concerned me was the fact(?) that this combo make the deet absorb more. I used Repel non deet ( eucalyptus/lemon oil) over sunscreen during the day. This allowed me to apply it more often after swimming. Worked like a charm when we were there in November. Luckily for 10 days btwn the cliffs and the beach ,no bites. BTW.....found the Repel on Amazon.

User Info Menu

Forgive me if this has been discussed. Is it OK to spray DEET based repellents on top of your sunscreen?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tahrheel View Post
    Forgive me if this has been discussed. Is it OK to spray DEET based repellents on top of your sunscreen?
    I put the sunscreen on and wait 30 minutes then the repellant.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hey_mon View Post
    http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/symptoms/index.html

According to the CDC website.."•Once a person has been infected, he or she is likely to be protected from future infections."

Here's hoping embury!!!!

My only concern is "immunity after infection". Our bodies build antibodies to many infections. Many viruses do not recur because of this - mumps, measles, chicken pox. However, I haven't seen any studies on long term effects of having had Chic-V. It was many years before they made the Chicken Pox-Shingles connection. Until they develop a vaccine, I would think that prevention would be the best route. Prevention is usually the better than the cure or post infection immunity, particularly since the long-term effects are not known. Research and choose your bug repellent and use wisely, and according to instructions. Manage those known risks, and enjoy the benefits, without locking yourself in a sterile room to avoid infection. And above all else, speak to you Health Care Professional about it, and the preventative measures they may recommend.

Cap, you say it's a day feeder. Is that ONLY in the daytime (dawn to dusk) for those mosquitoes? Or MOSTLY or USUALLY - meaning there is minimized risk dusk to dawn, as opposed to no risk?

And sunscreen then bug spray; reapply after going in the water. Got it. I'm ready!

Administrator

User Info Menu

M&G,

There have been studies done on Chick-V since its first diagnosed outbreak back in 1952 - over 60 years ago. This is from the World Health Organization:

"Chikungunya is a mosquito-borne viral disease first described during an outbreak in southern Tanzania in 1952. It is an RNA virus that belongs to the alphavirus genus of the family Togaviridae."

Long term effects are known. The reason the CDC says that an infected person is "most likely" immune is that over 60 years of studies have proved it to be true with this as well as other RNA viruses. They are saying "most likely" because they are essentially "covering their ass" so to speak. Just like mumps, chicken pox, etc, there have been rare exceptions to the rule and a few people have contracted these viruses more than once. A friend of mine growing up was written up in a medical journal because he caught chicken pox twice. But he was the exception to the rule - thus the interest in the medical journal.

Countries and territories where locally contracted chikungunya cases have been reported:
    AFRICA
    Benin
    Burundi
    Cameroon
    Central African Republic
    Comoros
    Democratic Republic of the Congo
    Equatorial Guinea
    Gabon
    Guinea
    Kenya
    Madagascar
    Malawi
    Mauritius
    Mayotte
    Nigeria
    Republic of Congo
    Reunion
    Senegal
    Seychelles
    Sierra Leone
    South Africa
    Sudan
    Tanzania
    Uganda
    Zimbabwe
    EUROPE
    Italy
    France
    OCEANIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS
    American Samoa
    Federal States of Micronesia
    New Caledonia
    Papua New Guinea
    Tonga
    ASIA
    Bangladesh
    Bhutan
    Cambodia
    China
    India
    Indonesia
    Laos
    Malaysia
    Maldives
    Myanmar (Burma)
    Pakistan
    Philippines
    Saudi Arabia
    Singapore
    Sri Lanka
    Taiwan
    Thailand
    Timor
    Vietnam
    Yemen
    AMERICAS
    Anguilla
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Aruba
    Bahamas
    Barbados
    Belize
    Bermuda
    Brazil
    British Virgin Islands
    Cayman Islands
    Colombia
    Costa Rica
    Curacao
    Dominica
    Dominican Republic
    El Salvador
    French Guiana
    Grenada
    Guadeloupe
    Guatemala
    Guyana
    Haiti
    Honduras
    Jamaica
    Martinique
    Mexico
    Montserrat
    Nicaragua
    Panama
    Paraguay
    Puerto Rico
    Saint Barthelemy
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Saint Martin
    Sint Maarten
    Saint Lucia
    Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
    Suriname
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    United States
    US Virgin Islands
    Venezuela
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!