Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negril mourns Observer vendor - he will be missed

Administrator

User Info Menu

Negril mourns Observer vendor - he will be missed

Name:  Keith-Campbell.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  92.2 KB

NEGRIL, Hanover — THE resort town of Negril has been plunged into mourning following last week's passing of popular Jamaica Observer vendor, 48-year-old Keith "Japanese" Campbell.

The longest serving Observer vendor in Negril was found dead at his Nampriel home in Westmoreland on Thursday, December 4.

The police do not suspect any foul play in Campbell's death.

Western Jamaica Observer field supervisor, Lilly Gayle, describes Campbell as hard-working, polite and reliable

"He was well-loved. Everybody knew him, including visitors to the island who became his friends," Gayle noted.

"Some persons abroad started to read the paper because of him."

The funeral service for Campbell, who has been selling the newspaper for more than 20 years, is to be announced.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/regio...endor_18085632
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Negril mourns Observer vendor - he will be missed

RIP Japanese. For years I would get my newspaper from him ... I would give him money up front including a generous tip and he would deliver a paper every day without fail to the house I stayed at. One year I took his photo and on a return trip gave him 2 large copies of the picture which he was delighted to receive ... he even asked me for a lada bag for the pics to make sure they didn't get wet or dirty before he got home. I must have known him for about 25 plus years - prior to selling newspapers he was doing some work for Mr. Faulkner at the old Fishermen's Club (which I think is where Drifters Bar is now located). May he rest in peace.

User Info Menu

Name:  Jamaica 2013 071_edited-1.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  78.7 KB R.I.P Keith.

User Info Menu

RIP Keith,he will be missed
    http://negril.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic9303_1.gif

User Info Menu

I'm so sad. The beach won't be the same without Japanese.

User Info Menu

I met Japanese on my first visit to Negril in 1989. he sold me a paper on da beach at the old Negril gardens and from that day until the the day he died we were best of friends. we talked on a weekly basis, and although he had a tough life, he was rich in character and a humble gentleman.
    I have many a story to tell, and will..i also hope a lot of you will share a story on him..
    as for the burial, a wonderful lady from the observer miss lily gayle has taken charge to see he has a proper funeral and burial in Negril.
    at this time she is unable to find any living relatives. she travelled to the dias area where he came from, but was only able to find someone who knew of him when he came to visit his father years ago. without a relative to claim body lily will have to go through mountain of paperwork. if anyone has any information on any relatives could you contact me or miss lily at gaylel@jamaicaobserver.com
    she is hoping to have service at church of god in Negril and burial in the red ground, but without knowing when she can claim body, it will be a while.
    any info from anyone in the real Negril community would be appreciated.
    thank you

User Info Menu

I'm so sadden to hear this...always bought my paper from him on the beach for years...once he saw me chill'in on my lounger he'd come over & make sure I got the Observer...even gave me credit many times if he caught me on my beach walk with no money...til he made the reverse trip back & I'd take care of him them..plus extra $..always!! Hard working man. He'll be very missed.

User Info Menu

Very sad to hear the news. We have been regulars of Japanese for many years. Every year my wife would give Japanese a stack of magazines that she brought to read on the beach. He remembered every year and looked forward to picking them up for resale.

User Info Menu

May he rest in peace. Always had a big smile on his face when he saw us. A genuine, honest, kind and gentle soul who will be truly missed.

User Info Menu

Name:  P1030119.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  92.3 KB

a real gentleman