Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflections, as a first time in a long time.

User Info Menu

Reflections, as a first time in a long time.

I have never done this type of report but I received so much help from this site planning our trip that I feel obligated to give a little back. We just returned yesterday from a 16 day trip which was our first time back to Jamaica in 25 years and the reason for that wasn't clear until our plane ride home yesterday.

Picked up at Montego Bay Airport by Ashton Pitt, very safe reliable driver who is both proud of his business and his country.

First 4 on the cliffs:
    Catch A Falling Star , beautiful place with the most friendly accommodating staff, but they do have a barking dog problem at night.

Ate at:
    Ivan's...the best of all the places we ate, and no more expensive than the other similar type hotel restaurants in Negril
    Sips & Bites, great food really cheap ...brown stew chicken is a must try
    Eddies De-Baar ...fun afternoon for drinks and really good Jerk
    Ras Rodys, good
    Sharks, good
    Push Cart, very disappointing food and overpriced
    Went to the Tuesday night concert at 3 Dives, great fun and although we didn't eat, lots of locals and tourist were enjoying the food.

Next 6 on the Beach at Coco La Palm

Great Hotel, large clean rooms, great pool, and centrally located on the beach.

Ate at:

Montanas, great food, 1 app, 2 mains and 3 red strip for $24
    Kenny's Italian Café, very good meal
    Best in the west, very good
    Idle Awhile, good
    sweet spot, good
    Sun Beach, okay
    Dean the pork guy okay
    Mikey's Variety good patties

Had drinks at:
    Yellow Bird, the best
    Tony's , unique and worth going
    drifters, good for the music, Friday and Sunday afternoon
    Margaretiville, biggest tourist rip off ever, 1 red strip and 1 bottle of water $9

Last 5 at Jakes at Treasure Beach

Obviously a very unique place but some rooms are very small and have no A/C. If quiet and peaceful is what you are looking for this is your place.

Ate At:
    Jakes, very good food
    Jack Sprats, this became our go to, the best Conch Soup for $2 a bowl and excellent pizza
    Wai ki Kie ... really good $4 omelet
    Good Vibz....really good breakfast sandwich and her daily salads are exceptional
    Diners Delight ..good food and meals are $4 to $6

And drinks at Eggys Beach Bar .... good Vibe

In Summary; the suggestion to break the trip up between the cliffs and beach was invaluable for first timers to get a feel for both and the same argument can be made for taking in Treasure Beach.

It all comes together on the Plane ride home yesterday: I got talking to a guy who was asking us about our trip and he said he had spent the week in Montego Bay (like we had many years ago) and he said he doubted if they would return to Jamaica as he could not stand all the haggling they got which obviously was our reason for not returning for so many years. I kinda grinned and said that I was happy to tell him that that was not our experience in Negril, and they should give it a try and that we will be returning very soon.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this site in the past, as it has all been very helpful to us.
    Respect

User Info Menu

Re: Reflections, as a first time in a long time.

Nice report. Thanks for the food ratings. Glad you had a great time.

User Info Menu

Great report, I like how you brought it all together at the end, I hope the guy on the plane gives it another try like you did. I have a few friends that are skeptical of Jamaica because of what they hear. I might've thought that too but Negril was my first trip as an adult when I was 19. Been back 10 times now and still lovin Negril as so many on here are.

Definitely right about other places in Jamaica, just not the same vibe as Negril. I hope you don't wait another 25 years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I have never done this type of report but I received so much help from this site planning our trip that I feel obligated to give a little back. We just returned yesterday from a 16 day trip which was our first time back to Jamaica in 25 years and the reason for that wasn't clear until our plane ride home yesterday.
    Welcome home

Cap
    Last edited by captaind; 12-15-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Great report. Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reflections, you were able to give us all the information needed as to where to eat and where to stay, we would LOVE to stay at Treasure Beach one day, we've been to Jake's and the surrounding area on a number of occasions but we've yet to stay there (only day trips).

We're heading to Negril on Friday & we are very excited to check out all the great old and new places.

User Info Menu

The steps taken to control the hagglers was definitely noticed by us last year and I am glad to hear that it is holding up Thanks for the report - tomorrow puts us into the single digits and I am reading every post and getting more excited than a kid for Christmas

User Info Menu

Nice! Sounds like a much better experience for you. Highfive.... You picked some great places to stay too and that makes a huge difference. So when's your next trip?
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

Great report Lefty!!

Islander (Vancouver Island, Victoria, Powell River, Whistler, etc... "F***ing Awesome") Between home and JA you got it covered!!! You should check out Sunset Resort and Villa's in Treasure Beach if you are there. Much less expensive than Jakes (two doors up) but awesome place. Enjoy Negril and JA!!!

Name:  Poolside.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  92.2 KBName:  Sunset Resort.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  95.2 KBName:  Rumside.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  82.8 KB

User Info Menu

Hey JohnG, Thanks for the Treasure Beach advise. Yes I am completely aware of how fortunate I am to be able to live in what I believe to be the most beautiful place on earth AND visit my favourite Caribbean country & town. I'm from Nanaimo, Vancouver Island (central island).

Only a few more days now for us (we arrive Saturday).

Peace,
    Islander ~ Brynn