Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beverage coolers

User Info Menu

beverage coolers

anyone know where we could rent or buy a couple of coolers for our stay ?? does hi-lo sell the styrofoam ones ?? not really trying to stop at mo-bay mega mart..

User Info Menu

Re: beverage coolers

Hi lo has styrofoam cups..they work great down there..I usually bring some down ..i bring a collapsing cooler..works perfect..light..don't see coolers down there for sale??

User Info Menu

I think I am going to bring this one with us. Collapse it down and it only weighs 3.5lbs. I wanted the table to set things on while at the beach. The wife and I will be bringing one checked bag for the two of us and I'm thinking it should fit just fine. If not, than a couple pairs of her shoes will be left behind. ;-) the other thing I will be bringing is a 32oz Bubba mug. I'm hoping they will fill them at most beach bars...for a price, I'm sure.
    http://smile.amazon.com/Coleman-C002...hf_gw_p_img_12

User Info Menu

Yeah we just have a collapsible Coleman that we use. It works pretty good.
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

A few years ago, I took a hard cooler with wheels and left it with a friend and we use when we are down there. He is now off the island so for my next reach I am bringing another hardsided cooler with me as a second piece of luggage - thank you Soutwest for 2 free pieces.

User Info Menu

I have this one and it works great. Folds down to the size of two pairs of folded pants in the suitcase. Bag of ice lasts 24hrs and it's pretty sturdy as it still is like new after six trips to Jamaica.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19325565?w...tRedirect=true

User Info Menu

Sam's Club has a soft sided cooler for less then $10 - http://www.samsclub.com/sams/thermal....ip?navAction=

We have always taken one per couple to Jamaica for years. They fold flat, are light weight and the quality has improved every year. We at the end of the trip we usually give the cooler to our favorite juice guy, Tony. We tie-wrap a bottle opener to the zipper pull tag and are ready to party. Also a great back up cooler at home for those extra large parties. We love to use them in our boat as they store easily in the odd shaped nooks and crannies that boats are famous for. Easier on the toes for those of us who wear flip flops a lot - LOL

Early models had about a 30% leak rate but recently they have been perfect in that area. However if you do get a leaker, Sam's has been great on refund or exchange. My advise would be to try it out before using in Jamaica. Also we always have a refrig in the room so we never leave ice/water in them over night - just in case. Also seem to insulate better if you can turn them upside down and let them drain / dry out at night.

User Info Menu

Another Idea is a Coleman type hard cooler and check it as check in luggage. I would wrap it with duct tape to keep in closed in transit and would have the roll of tape in my hand luggage in case authorities any where along the way wanted to look inside. I would fill it with things that I planned on leaving behind and buy Jamaican goods to bring home on the return as my second checked bag (Yea I know things are different now). I would give the cooler away to somebody in Negril that could use it. Back in the 70's and 80's they were hard to come by and expensive in JA. While in Negril I used it as my beer, food, etc.. cooler and would buy ice from the ice man every day.

User Info Menu

Most of side coolers don't keep the ice in a solid form long enough in Jamaica. Wirecutter and Sweethome have some great reviews and recommendations for all sorts of useful stuff. See their recommendation for best soft side cooler: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-soft-cooler/
    Respect --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

thank you for the input, so it looks like we are stopping at mega mart after all.....