Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First week in December visit...more beach "vendors"?

User Info Menu

Question First week in December visit...more beach "vendors"?

It is probably my imagination, but it seemed to me there were a greater number of beach "vendors" walking up and down the beach this year. Inquiring with other tourists who always visit at this time, some said "yes", some said "no". One guy's analysis was that it was a "labor overflow" from the closing down of the jet ski operations. I guess this is plausible.

While the usual vendors could be seen (Patties, cook lobster, cigareeeeet, fruit juice etc.), I saw a lot of guys with really nothing to sell (My guess is they had contraband on their person).

Your thoughts?

User Info Menu

Re: First week in December visit...more beach "vendors"?

I saw this guy for the first time...good steel drum.
    Walked up and asked him what key he was playing in...no hesitation.. F mon!

Attachment 39952

User Info Menu

Yes. I agree. It's unfortunate, but some are really desperate! And I need to be "smarter". we just got in. second day, good thing my wife got in between us, or there would have been a scuffle. I'm an easy going guy, but the disrespect shown towards us, was WAY too much. Man, I was mad! I DID NOT let it ruin the rest of our stay in paradise! It was a great trip, and as usual the NTH was great. I've got more threads coming. stay tuned mon' one love RnR Farmer + wife {thanks honey}

User Info Menu

Glad I'm not alone. Found some really obnoxious locals working the beach last week. They had the usual Rasta bracelet foe sale and replied nastily when a "no thanks" was given. I stopped walking below Tonys toward town as the hassle wasn't worth it. Had one crackhead dragging his kid behind him begging for food. As my local friend said, that kid would not see a penny of any money. But the good still outweighs the bad. And hope that the busy season is good for the real vendors!

User Info Menu

The bracelet thing is back to make up for no details and they are relentless

User Info Menu

Just wondering if anyone has a link to buy the bracelet online? I saved mine and wear it each trip which saves me the hassle usually when I have someone trying to sell one to me. I will be traveling with some newbies this year. I figure if we can buy them online before we go may repel some unwanted attention.

User Info Menu

You mean you don't want the newbies to get a FREE bracelet!

User Info Menu

Haha yeah exactly. I would gladly pay more for it online to spare the newbies the REAL cost of the FREE bracelet...LOL!

User Info Menu

Are the Red Stripes doing anything to crack down on the obvious interlopers? I know there was a lot of hub bub recently about the crackdown on what most of us would consider as "normal" vending. But the opportunists who ply the edges and harass people shouldn't be tolerated...

Administrator

User Info Menu

The "bracelet" scam is not something new or even limited to Negril - this is from the "Beware: 7 Scams Every Traveler Needs to Know About" article on Yahoo.com.

Where: Paris and Rome

Scam: As you’re walking near the famous Sacre Coeur or Spanish Steps, a charismatic man strolls up to you and starts a conversation. Before you know it, he’s tying a bracelet around your wrist or finger and double-knotting it better than a Boy Scout. Then he demands payment. Of course, you can say no. But if you do, he’ll scream that you are stealing his bracelet and embarrass you in public. Most tourists give in to the pressure and pay just to prevent a scene.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/beware-...188966502.html
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!