Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car rental question

User Info Menu

Re: Car rental question

Citibank World is also worldwide I believe, I know it covers me while in Jamaica

User Info Menu

the thing is, if you have an accident (god forbid) the car rental company will charge everything to your credit card company and you will have to hash it out with them. if you pay the deposit and buy extra insurance, the rental car company only takes the deposit. so your choice . . .

User Info Menu

I had a brand spanking new vehicle last yr. less than 200 km upon del. because we stayed 64 days we had to split it up on 2 CC so when we brought the car back at day 32 to do the new contract on the other cc they found a bunch of scratches on the car. They do put a $750 hold on the cc for the car but they never charged us or withheld deposit when everything was said and done. so I have to disagree with you Jitterbug. I am requesting a older car ( 1-2 yrs) so i don't have to feel so bad about scratching up a brand new vehicle. One yr we had a car where the mirrors fold in and the sec. guard at our hotel pushed them in to allow more room for other cars to park in the small lot I come out and the mirror is hanging talk about having a freak out. we Jerry rigged it. So now i examine the car with a fine tooth comb take pictures and everything and i ask the person going over the check list to push in the mirrors before i leave the lot

User Info Menu

Oh one more thing they may keep the deposit (hold) which they charge you anyway even if you have CC coverage if you have a major kerfuffle, but i believe if the card covers it they should refund it back after all is said and done, that may take a while, just be careful.

User Info Menu

My suggestion - hire a driver with a car or van - probably cheaper and definitely safer and easier - no hassles with insurance, damage, repairs, accidents, getting lost, driving while under the influence, traffic tickets, flat tires, paint scratches, roadblocks, weather, and on and on and on .................

I would guess you could make a great deal with someone to be "on demand" for your needs - there are lots of driver referrals on the board. We did this for years while staying at Tryall and it was sooooooo much better then driving yourself - and cheaper too!

User Info Menu

I really can't see how it would be cheaper, I don't drink and drive anyway so that's not an issue. If the weekly rental is lets say 240 incl tax. and you want to do even 1 excursion to lets say YS/ Pelican. you are looking at $200 for just the driver, nevermind the convienience of being able to just go. I don't drive after dark so i still use a taxi if i go out. But for the extra $40 i will always have to go with the car. I like getting lost. I could tell some stories of situations I have found myself in What adventures, i have had driving around.

User Info Menu

The OP said that they have never driven in Jamaica.

Keep that in mind

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Cap I have driven in Jamaica, we have just never rented before and we do not have a car anymore. I don't mind driving-except for the potholes-
    but I would rather not and my husband will be doing a lot of driving back and forth from Sav (daily) so we figure this will be the best option.

When I first started coming to Jamaica I had the best driver, but he's in Heaven now....RIP Alfred-

User Info Menu

Alfred is driving in heaven now he was also my driver for the first 2 trips he was a incredible human being.

User Info Menu

My daughter just got back from Florida Keys she went to BRT weekend, rented a convertible mustang- they wouldn't give her a Beemer because she was under 25-"Poor ting" eh! ...but she got a little present (invoice) in the mail from Budget last week 3 tickets 2 in one day...that budget paid for and if she didn't pay them back they would charge her cc.