Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car rental question

User Info Menu

Re: Car rental question

Quote Originally Posted by Lapurr View Post
    Cap I have driven in Jamaica, we have just never rented before and we do not have a car anymore. I don't mind driving-except for the potholes-
    but I would rather not and my husband will be doing a lot of driving back and forth from Sav (daily) so we figure this will be the best option.

When I first started coming to Jamaica I had the best driver, but he's in Heaven now....RIP Alfred-
    Sorry I misread your OP

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Your daughter have a LEAD foot much. LOL That's diferent tho i would charge the cc too. I bet it cost her much more than $500 JD what a waste of the paper it was written on. I just didn't want to chance getting in trouble at the airport and not be able to leave over $5. Maybe that wouldn't of been a bad thing tho.

User Info Menu

Been renting a car in Jamaica for years now.........Words of advice.........Keep one eye on traffic and the other watching for pot holes.......I was following a truck one year and my view of the road was blocked.......Pow....hit a pot hole and flattened the rim and got an immediate flat......Just be warned.....

Ken

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newfiegirl59 View Post
    I had a brand spanking new vehicle last yr. less than 200 km upon del. because we stayed 64 days we had to split it up on 2 CC so when we brought the car back at day 32 to do the new contract on the other cc they found a bunch of scratches on the car. They do put a $750 hold on the cc for the car but they never charged us or withheld deposit when everything was said and done. so I have to disagree with you Jitterbug. I am requesting a older car ( 1-2 yrs) so i don't have to feel so bad about scratching up a brand new vehicle. One yr we had a car where the mirrors fold in and the sec. guard at our hotel pushed them in to allow more room for other cars to park in the small lot I come out and the mirror is hanging talk about having a freak out. we Jerry rigged it. So now i examine the car with a fine tooth comb take pictures and everything and i ask the person going over the check list to push in the mirrors before i leave the lot
    you got lucky . . .

i also would prefer my own ride than a driver . . . always much, much cheaper.

User Info Menu

Auto insurance contracts are full of terms and conditions that effect coverage, and may limit or exclude coverage when one or more of those conditions are breached. Auto insurance has two main parts:
    1 - Physical damage to the vehicle which is devided between the peril of collision and comprehensive perils which covers losses like theft, fire, vandalism, etc.. Assuming your buying both sections, know what your deductible is for each and when you are responsible for that deductible.

2 - Liability covers you when your legally liable for bodily injury and property damage resulting from the use or operation of the vehicle. Although these types of loss are less frequent, their potential for financial loss is by far your greatest exposure.

Expecting that a potentially devastaing accident will occur, read your insurance contracts VERY carefully. You should know who's covered, where they are covered, and what they are covered for. Pay particular attention to limitations and exclusions. In short make an informed choice knowing your risk and potential loss.
    Last edited by Craig123; 01-07-2015 at 01:57 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm with you. The hassle is not worth any savings.

To each their own....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oil View Post
    My suggestion - hire a driver with a car or van - probably cheaper and definitely safer and easier - no hassles with insurance, damage, repairs, accidents, getting lost, driving while under the influence, traffic tickets, flat tires, paint scratches, roadblocks, weather, and on and on and on .................

I would guess you could make a great deal with someone to be "on demand" for your needs - there are lots of driver referrals on the board. We did this for years while staying at Tryall and it was sooooooo much better then driving yourself - and cheaper too!

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

Having rent cars / vans and driven ourselves and had a driver over the last 36 years we found the price about the same. We just made a deal with a driver to be on call / on demand for the entire trip for a flat fees. You would be surprised how reasonable it can be if you negotiate a little. The driver looks at it as guaranteed money, you get peace of mind and no hassle. Some days we used him, some days we didn't. On the days we did not want to go anywhere, we gave him permission to go hustle up some business on the side. Win - Win for everyone.

Now we hardly leave the beach except for a few trips up to the cliffs as a change of pace.

Enjoy yourself which ever way you go ................ be safe in your travels.

User Info Menu

We're back, and no problems, got a great SUV from Island, those people are wonderful to do business with..was a little pricey $640 U.S which was about $830 Canadian (our dollar has really taken a dive) but whatever had it for 2 weeks, with no issues, it was great- is it just me or do the roads seem a little calmer?

there was a fella returning his rental and he wasn't so lucky, also another messy accident on the cliff road, very risky if you are a first time driver...

thanks to everyone that recommended Island..we will use them again in the future for sure =)

User Info Menu

I think you can consult to AMEX Car RENTAL service provider?

User Info Menu

The secret to saving money on car hire is to buy the basic package only. Use online agents such as holidayautos.co.uk, argushire.com, auto-europe.co.uk to check hire prices first, but also look on the sites of the major players, such as Hertz, Avis, Budget, Europcar and Sixt and AMEX Car RENTAL.