Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devil peppers?

User Info Menu

Devil peppers?

A local friend told us about these and says they're far hotter than the Scotch Bonnet. Anyone know about them? Could they be a local name for the Ghost pepper from India? - Cheers, Rob

User Info Menu

Re: Devil peppers?

Hottest pepper I know of is "bird" pepper....

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Thanks Cap! I've had "Birds eye" before and they are plenty hot; I think they are the same one. Talking about types of peppers get confusing quickly: http://www.foodsubs.com/Chilefre.html

User Info Menu

Mas Hugh told once me............"Mi bilious fe two day (upset stomach)" ........ and 'im eat 12 bird pepper...an soon 'im sweat bad...an drop down 'pon the road...

couldn't remember after that but when he came to the biliousness was gone......

That is a true remembrance of what he said......

He was my Jamaican godfather

Cap
    Last edited by captaind & Linston; 01-19-2015 at 07:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Check out the Scoville scale - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

User Info Menu

Dayammmmmmm

Little ole datil pepper from St. Augustine come in third......

Got some planted at my house

User Info Menu

Cap - you sure some of those peppers aren't arson tools? I like spicey, but "raging inferno in my intestine" seems odd!!

User Info Menu

Bird pepper story- 1982 at Tigress, livin cheap so making spaghetti, at market didn't need a lot so bought the smallest peppers they had - was 1st mistake. Started Chopping them up and my fingers and nails start to burn, so I go wash my hands in cold water, water makes it feel fine so I decide might as well wash my face while I was there - 2nd mistake. Splashed water on my face including my eyes, well screamed like a little girl as face and eyes just started burning, didn't know what do, my pals went and got the guy Friday from Tigress, Slim, he comes in and says "mon, you need fiah to draw out the fiah" drags me to the gas stove, turns on all the burners and puts my face right up to the stove, well let's just say Jamaican remedies don't always work, just managed to singe off my eyebrows while my eyes kept burning. Couple hours of streaming tears and lots of ice and I survived but needless to say didn't eat the spaghetti sauce nor any more bird peppers.

User Info Menu

Anyone who has cooked with peppers has a story....that might be one of the dooziests there Rasthai!
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Anyone who has cooked with peppers has a story....that might be one of the dooziests there Rasthai!
    Agree on both accounts, Crusher.
    We have some stories/incidences from people eating the pork at Red Dragon and either accidentally eating the scotch bonnet or thinking they could eat the scotch bonnet without a problem....many red faces, many screaming in pain...