Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Devil peppers?

User Info Menu

Re: Devil peppers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Agree on both accounts, Crusher.
    We have some stories/incidences from people eating the pork at Red Dragon and either accidentally eating the scotch bonnet or thinking they could eat the scotch bonnet without a problem....many red faces, many screaming in pain...
    Yeah. The guys on the beach always look sideways at me when I ask for the 'rasta' or hot pork. I get the sauteed Scotch Bonnet's on the side.
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

I asked a few folks on our reach and was told "Purple pepper" is a more common name for it. Someone was looking for them for us, but no luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rasthai View Post
    Bird pepper story- 1982 at Tigress, livin cheap so making spaghetti, at market didn't need a lot so bought the smallest peppers they had - was 1st mistake. Started Chopping them up and my fingers and nails start to burn, so I go wash my hands in cold water, water makes it feel fine so I decide might as well wash my face while I was there - 2nd mistake. Splashed water on my face including my eyes, well screamed like a little girl as face and eyes just started burning, didn't know what do, my pals went and got the guy Friday from Tigress, Slim, he comes in and says "mon, you need fiah to draw out the fiah" drags me to the gas stove, turns on all the burners and puts my face right up to the stove, well let's just say Jamaican remedies don't always work, just managed to singe off my eyebrows while my eyes kept burning. Couple hours of streaming tears and lots of ice and I survived but needless to say didn't eat the spaghetti sauce nor any more bird peppers.
    Mas Hugh used to tell me this story:

One time he was "bilious" (really upset stomach) for several days. The bush doctor told him to eat 12 bird pepper.

So he did................. Hear him:

"mi drop down in de road and every thing come out of me..both ends. It take me like cannon shot....De pepper bun like fyah.. Mi can't remember how mi get home ...next morning...bilious gone"

True story so him tell me

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

Administrator

User Info Menu

Rob & Lois,

I have never seen the actual bright red thin devil peppers here, but the "purple peppers" you have been told about may be the purple variation of the Jamaican scotch bonnet peppers. The purple ones tend to be the hottest scotch bonnets and could easily be nicknamed "devil peppers" due to their heat. They do have a great flavor as well. Once in a while you may see them in the jerk pork at the Red Dragon.

Crusher,

You may be getting that "sideways" look by asking for "Rasta" pork. Rastas are not supposed to eat pork... (grin)
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

M from M&G. So this isn't from personal experience. However .... it should be noted that a friend of mine (male of the species) advises that other male members of the species should exercise extreme caution when working with hot peppers. Be sure to wash your hands THOROUGHLY prior to urinating. I gather there can be some uncomfortable results if one, shall we say, rushes to the loo and fails to observe this precaution!

I dunno, ladies. Sounds pretty funny to me!

User Info Menu

I was at my local wholesale/retail grocer in Niagara Falls Canada (Lococos) and a tourist couple was asking the staff about the hottest peppers they carried to make Chilli. The grocer said that the Jamaican Scotch Bonnet peppers were the very hottest they carried (and this company has every kind of produce you can imagine).
    I saw the couple fill a whole plastic bag with Scotch Bonnets. I seriously hope they didn't use them all in their pot of chilli.

User Info Menu

Back in the day, when my stomach was young and I was crazy for heat, I used to grow Thai Bird Peppers. We'd take them, a couple of pounds at a time (yes, we grew a lot of them) to the local sushi bars. This may have been the start of the spicy tuna roll.

The Devil peppers mentioned here are in fact Datil peppers. The renaming is a Haitian thing. I've seen Ghost peppers in a store in Mobay, but that was years ago. They are much hotter than Scotch Bonnets but not as sweet. Currently, the hottest peppers in the world are grown by a lunatic in Louisiana. He's actually reached 3.5 million Scoville units.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    (Where it's always a Rocky Mountain high.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fawnridge View Post
    The Devil peppers mentioned here are in fact Datil peppers. The renaming is a Haitian thing.
    The Datil pepper is from right here in St. Augustine and was brought here by the Minorcan indentured workers in the 18th century

I love the capsicum flavor of them. Even when diluted down to a reasonable heat the flavor remains.

I have 6 plants in my back yard right now

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

One of the boardies here sells or use to sell ghost pepper seeds. Dale H if I remember correctly. Oh and screw hot peppers, I grew scoth bonnet peppers and got them mixed up with banana peppers.... I made a pepper and cheese sub that had me in bed for two days.... Or on the toilet......pain.