Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Connectivity in Negril - Lime vs Digicell?

User Info Menu

Connectivity in Negril - Lime vs Digicell?

Visiting with GF and her two adult children (18 &19). Connectivity will be a priority for them.

What are my options?

1) Rent a phone? How much and from whom?
    2) Is there a family plan?

Thanks,

VVHT

User Info Menu

Re: Connectivity in Negril - Lime vs Digicell?

If you pick the right transfer they will actually lend you a phone for the duration of your stay. Just ask and see what they say. I haven't had any issues with my Digi phone over the last few years.
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

Crusher, will the young ones be able to email & txt with that phone?

Appreciate the quick response!

Enjoy your healing trip and don't forget to DRINK RED STRIPE!

VVHT

User Info Menu

txt yes....not sure about email....the one I have doesn't but its older.....there should be wifi available do they have ipad or ipod's? Their own phones?
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

I bring an unlocked iPhone and buy a SIM card at a Digicel store at Burger King shopping center on Negril circle (across street from bank). I think cost was US$25 or US$30 when I did that last year.

I also found most of the restaurants and hotels had pretty good WiFi.

Hope that helps.
    F.

User Info Menu

VVHT, Finally going back to the Rock!?

User Info Menu

For emailing or texting, having a wifi connection on a tablet or iPhone will be much more useful. Even though we have a Digicel phone with texting ability, folks back home were reluctant to text us back because they had to pay international texting charges. For voice calling home (and around the island), the Digicel works great and is the best value.

My wife has an iPhone that she kept on airplane mode, but connected to the free wifi at whichever establishment we were at (most of the major bars, restaurants and hotels have it). Using the iPhone Messenger, she was able to text back and forth with friends/family back home, via the wifi internet connection instead of through the cellular service. So, the people back home just had to text her US phone number and she would get the message, whenever she was connected to the internet. Likewise, she could text any US number for free when she connected to the internet.

I'm sure there is a similar app for Android, but haven't tried it. The Messenger app comes built-in on the iPhone and works seamlessly.

User Info Menu

Mike & frankk, good stuff, thanks!

Flip, been six years since my last reach!

Crusher, don't forget to "Drink Red Stripe"

User Info Menu

If you have a wifi connection, the free app WhatsApp will allow you to text and call for free. While I haven't personally used it for calls, I know it is an option. I've used the texting portion many times and it works great!

User Info Menu

I had my old iPhone unlocked and bought a Lime sim a few weeks ago. Sim was about $500j and I added credit online and texted to add lots of data for $7. Loved having local phone, texting, data and camera all in one. Wifi most places but charged quite a bit for it at my last hotel so went this route. Sim, data and call credit for about $20.