Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Blizzard Of The Millenium

User Info Menu

Re: Blizzard Of The Millenium

Well johng I will take one, or two, for the team and ensure I have an Irie Dread, or/and and Icy Dread as we watch the sunset on the beach before heading to the Seastar to watch a Jets game!! Chris is a former Winnipegger so he gets and shares our enthusiasm for our Jets!!! Glad the storm did not amount to much out your way, we have dodged the snow bullet this year and are actually having rain today.....weather, who gets it?
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”
    ― Bob Marley

User Info Menu

This is the 2nd year in a row of very little snow now or in the forecast in Eastern Nebraska. Never got to ride our snowmobiles last year and this year doesn't look promising either. We have had 50 to 60 degree days too so we just say "screw it, bring on spring"....

User Info Menu

I know in Wisconsin, when the forecast is for lot of snow , they tell us to get up early so you are not late for work.

User Info Menu

hey_mon,
    Good to know you are a team player (you sound like a first round pick!! HAHAHA). Substitute Overproof for regular and you have an Over Dread or Iced Over!!
    When are you headed down to Negril???

Name:  Trenchtown Rock.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  104.4 KB

Bob Marley Residence Hope Road Kingston

User Info Menu

Always happy to take one for the team!! We are leaving on Monday Feb 23 as we have a wedding to attend on the 21st here in Winterpeg, so have to do the 5:15 red eye to Toronto and fly from there. We are down for three weeks again this year and on Saturday, Feb 28th will celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary where it all began...we were actually married down there before destination weddings were so easy. We were married at the T Water hotel on the patio at sunset and actually had a group of 52 for a sit down dinner after the ceremony. Mrs Segre, the owner and matriarch of the T Water was the marriage officer in the parish and married us and we had a pretty traditional wedding for the most part. Guess the timing was just right and we managed to entice 40 some odd friends and family and about a dozen Jamaican friends we had made in the three trips prior. Barry and Wilbur, and another of Miss Glorias grandsons whose name escapes me, but can still see his wide bright smile, around 16 or so, all from Miss Glorias, and sis and Campbell and Jocelyn from the Whitebird cottages up in the cliffs, Crooksie the carver from around Miss G's and his son, and Donovan, Gus from the Rocky Dell's son and a sweet little date he brought, and Patrick who did tours on the beach and his wife who was a Police Officer in a dangerous corrupt time. So sad to see the demise of the T Water and what it has become, but will raise a toast to each other, and the journey so far, with 6 friends at, I think, Kuyaba for dinner on the 28th and dream about making it back for 28 more!!! Took our three kids down there 2 years ago to show them what we fell in love with on our first trip in '81 and left them with the "Once you go, you know" fever! Have sooo many great memories of great shows, like Rita Marley and the I threes with Ziggy at the Tree House I believe, and wandering back down the beach just before sun up, Kaisers in the Cliffs for shows, watching the moon set into the water two or three times one night after a pot of tea........oh youth, so wasted on the young! lol If we knew then what we think we know now..hahahahaha I think I threw some pics up here from the wedding at some point. Will have to get out the old albums and scan some "That was then and this is now" but do not think I will ever have the time or stamina for a trip report. Admire those who do and always love the pics everyone throws up here, from then and now! And will stick to the Appletons and avoid the JB overproof or I will be the Head over the toilet bowl Dread!!!!!
    ― Bob Marley

User Info Menu

Hey_mon,
    Nice Read!!! That is a trip report A+++++. Glad to hear that you'll return to "Where it all began". We must have met along the way in Negril as I used to always stay at Miss Gloria's place. Barry and Carl (Dread on a Honda CB 200), Carl's brother ???, sister Maureen. Miss Gloria's boyfriend Mr. Peat. I believe you mean Wilbert, he had a brother Hubert and there was a guy named Winston who played a saxophone, played pretty crazy after a likkle smoke!! T-Water was great!! What has happened to it since???

Yes a pot of tea (mushroom I surmise???) can make the moon do many strange things. I remember a full moon once down there where the Man in The Moon was winking at me!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

I first found Negril in 75 and used go down 2 or 3 times a year and camped out in Gloria's yard. Was there during the 1980 Jamaican Elections where gunfire was common all over the island, Pretty Wild!!! I wrote a journal (call it a trip report) about 30 pages long. Don't think it would be in my best interest to post it here, HAHAHA!!! Needless to say I have many fond memories of Negril (The Beach) and Jamaica (The Country).

You are right about the Overproof!! The problem with the Irie Dreads is that with the Cool Flavors within one forgets about the rum and as such what starts as Irie can certainly end in Dread. In the case of OP you are exactly right.

I am sure you will be posting between now and your departure so no need wish you a wonderful 28th quite yet but wishing you a great life in the meantime.

Once a friend always a friend!!

Peace & Respect!!

Name:  Hubert.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  92.0 KBName:  Jimmy & John.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  89.2 KBName:  Bonita.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  94.4 KBName:  John and Denis.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  97.3 KB

User Info Menu

Hey Johng, We may well have crossed paths in Negril as Miss Gloria's was a kind of meeting place for us. Our friends Chris and Lisa, and Kimbo and his gang always stayed at Miss G's so we were there often. We stayed at the White Bird up in the cliffs our first couple of trips down starting in 81 and then found the T water on the beach and it was such a good deal from Toronto that we stayed there a few years in a row, and ended up getting married there in '87. I believe a hurricane or two caused some problems with the property and have heard there was dissension in the Segre family and it was sold or some such. Whomever had it last built a row of rooms on the beachfront of the property, completely obliterating the original property from view and believe also there was a fire on the property and it has been left in a state of disrepair and is a hang out for those "less fortunate" and I will say by choice. Was told to stay away as it is not Negrils most desirable who reside or squat there. We did walk down a few years back and it was such a disappointment to see this. The T Water was such a beautiful property and the staff that worked there were so loving and welcoming....Mr Grant who worked security, Blossom Brown, a waitress, Toupee who worked the bar! Michael would bring a spear gun down every year and give to Toupee at the end of our stay. Funny story, at our wedding dinner they had the tables set beautifully, fresh flowers throughout the room and the staff were starting to serve the dinner. Someone started the old clink the glasses to get the bride and groom to kiss.....not sure if that is done in the states as well, but it is done here at every wedding still. Anyways, the staff had such a look of confusion as this was happening, and were eagerly running around to grab water jugs and fill every ones glasses. We all had a good laugh, staff and guests alike as we explained the custom. We had such a good time, and I think around 2 a.m. closed down the dinner and dance area and moved it to the beach. My husband told Toupee who was working the bar that night to keep it open as long as the guests were wanting and we would settle up the next day. Toupee approached Michael the next afternoon and said he did as Michael asked and he had the final tally and man could our friends drink.....he hoped it was not too much but the bill was an extra 160.00. Michael smiled and gave him 200.00 cash and said I hope they didn't keep you up too late!! Wilbert had my Mom and Michaels mom up on the dance floor all night...Man we must have set the stage for destination weddings! All totaled though our Wedding cost was just under the 1500.00 dollar mark and we had 50 people in attendance. Could not have done that here for that price and the memories......priceless.

I remember the trouble around 83 or 84 elections I think causing us to think that year, should we or shouldn't we, but we did end up going. Was not a problem around Negril as I remember. We did not get back for a number of years as life happened, three kids, two boys that play hockey and school costs, but have managed to get back for the last 4 or so and have seen a lot of change yet a lot remains the same in so many ways.

Miss the sound of the ice truck roaring up west end road and don't see any donkeys pulling carts like you used to, but the food is still second to any and the people, and their humbleness and beautiful smiles are just some of what keeps the love alive for us, among other things Still like a cup of tea or two a reach.

An ways, keep those pics coming! They always bring a smile to my face and maybe one day we will meet up again and have a drink on the beach and laugh as the Man in the Moon winks and sets and rises 3 times.....lol

Bless up
    ― Bob Marley

User Info Menu

hey_mon,
    Sounds like you have live a blessed life!! Me too!! Great story about your wedding at T-Water and very sorry to hear about the recent history of the property but I guess the cycle of life affects everything and everyone???

Hope your boys had FUN playing Hockey and that it was a positive thing for them and you. Those early am's in frozen rinks I miss!! (The crazy parents I don't). Saw Princeton play Yale last night, US college hockey is pretty decent!!

I bet we have crossed paths over the years as back in the 70's and 80's the number of visitors to Negril was far less than today.

Would be great to catch up at some point and talk about old times.

As always, count your blessings, not your problems!!

Name:  Negril Sunset.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  92.0 KB

User Info Menu

Blessed in deed!! A jets game at 6 and the youngest playing at 7:15. Truly hockey night in Canada in our house!

Yale and Princeton....that sounds like an interesting mix! Our favorite hockey around here is the juniors at Christmas time. And we managed to take gold this year!!

We will have to work on Rob (nudge) to get a reunion of old timers happening one of these days! He sure seems to get things going for the April bash every year, and does a good job keeping things sorted on this board!!

Stay warm and live this years vacation thru the board reports on here!
    ― Bob Marley

User Info Menu

hey_mon,
    Yes a 70's -80's reunion would be fun!!

Glad to hear your youngest still playin hockey. Also knowing the NHL came back to W'Peg is nice. Today obviously Super Bowl Sunday although not a huge football fan I'll watch in hopes of a good game.

Thanks for the updates, the 23rd soon come for you guys. Are the kids goin too??

Big Respect.