Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Negril fishing

User Info Menu

Question Negril fishing

I am traveling to negril for my honeymoon in April and am thinking of doing some fishing. I have read very mixed reviews from the fishing in negril. Can anyone give an opinion?
    I have read some about deep blue, duke, Stanley . Please help

User Info Menu

Re: Negril fishing

You have to go pretty far out to catch much of anything in Negril, unless you're spearfishing or fishing in illegal areas. I'd do a day trip down to Bluefields Beach and hire someone there. It's about the closest place to get in some "good" fishing.

User Info Menu

What do you want to fish for? Treasure Beach area has some guides for snappers, some reef fish and such, if you are into Catch n' Release, there are some excellent Tarpon and Snook fly fishing opportunities up Black River, start w/ an 8wt on a WF line but once you locate the bruisers, you'll want a a 10-12wt sink tip. Good luck and hang on
    Last edited by Packrat; 02-22-2015 at 05:19 PM.

User Info Menu

How far is bluefield beach and treasure beach from negril? And how should I locate a fisherman
    Anyone you could suggest

User Info Menu

Have done a half day with Stanley. The boat, crew, and equipment were fine. Caught a total of 4 skipjack, and saw some whales.
    Negril doesnt offer that great of fishing. Its going to be hit or miss. On a scale of 1 to 10 i would rate the opportunity/quality about a 3.

User Info Menu

Bluefields is about an hour, maybe hour and a half. It's about halfway to Treasure Beach on the south coast. Treasure Beach would work as well, but if you're only doing a day trip I'd try Bluefields. Check with the guy who runs the bar/cookshop up the hill from the beach park (next to the parking lot), he'll know someone who can take you.

User Info Menu

MichiganMan

Lot depends on your objectives. For Salt Water Deep Sea Fishing w/ Rod & Reel if your goal is to catch a bunch of fish and have a great experience contact Capt. "Talla" Moxim. He is out of Treasure Beach but does trips to Black River area also. He has all the gear so no need to bring any equipment. He catches a lot of Wahoo, Kingfish, Dolphin. Mostly trolling baits but I am sure he can guide bottom fishing as well as fresh water at Black River. He is pretty reasonable price wise and a very nice guy. I attach his contact info and he can also be reached through Kory South at Sunset Resort and Villa's in TB. Bluefields Beach I have never fished but TB is about a 2-3 hour ride from Negril.

Name:  Catch of the day.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  Talla Tours.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  96.8 KB

User Info Menu

Been fishin the cliffs for a long time and I've tried everything in my tackle box. This is the only way I fish now. I bring a Medium to light rod and reel, 4 or 5 # test line. Bring a variety of hooks, not too big, and some split shot and a couple floats, along with one of those little plastic boxes to keep all this in. One of those 18 in one tools with a knife for cuttin the shrimp and the little pliers for squeezing the split shot. Go to the Hi Lo and buy a pack of frozen shrimp. Hopefully you have a frig in ur room. Tie on the hook and about a foot or so up tie a knot. Put on a few split shot above the knot. Put a few shrimp in ur zip lock and head to the water. Cut the shrimp into thirds and put a piece on the hook and fire it out there. Take a big lick of Ganja and wait for the hit. You can use this off the beach too, but I use the float there. Best times are early in the morning or at night, but I've gotem' any time. I've caught some cool lookin fish, so make sure you bring a camera too. I go to Bass Pro or any place like that and get the travel rod and reel and when I leave I give everything to a Jamaican that's interested in fishing.
    Name:  Fish 1.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  64.3 KBName:  Fish 2.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  27.4 KBName:  Fish 3.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  22.9 KB

User Info Menu

Candyman, I crave snapper and tuna. What other fish do you catch that is really good to eat. I assume that the biggest photo is a snapper. The one with the stripes and bigger top fin is also a type of snapper?? What is the speckled one. What is a guideline for the size to keep rather than releasing. Thanks for the information and the photos!!!

User Info Menu

The first one is a Parrot and the 2nd one is a Squirrel fish and I'm not sure what the 3rd is. I give the fish I catch to the staff at my hotel. All the fish are palm sized or bigger, so I keep everything. I have a few other shots I'll post later.