Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Be Careful in Negril

User Info Menu

Re: Be Careful in Negril

Whoa Gang, let's get the facts 1st, there have NOT been 10 murders in Negril in the last 3 months, but 1 is too many. Lime Tree Ln is across from Blue Cave Castle, One lane east of PeeWee Ln and about 2 miles from SeaStar Ln. The victim(s) lived on Lime Tree, but do we know where this shooting took place? the article only states it was at a shop in the area. Any loss of life &/or injury by violence is saddening anywhere, it just tugs at the hearts of us who love Negril just a little more when it happens there. There is no excuse for it. Although I have no faith in the Police solving anything, I hold out hope there will be some justice done.

User Info Menu

The last thing I would want is to discourage anyone from going to Negril, I doubt my influence on anyone is that potent..
    I'm just a boardie that loves Negril and this board...it's just things you need to be wary of..being spontaneous is fun..but stop and think, even just for a second- could prevent an unfortunate event.

I for one have never felt unsafe in Negril...and I have traveled there several times with my daughter - I don't go to any sketchy places nor do I know of any...I'm always happy to be there, I feel free and relaxed and enjoy every minute of it. I trust the people of Negril are more inclined to help you if they witness a disturbance and that is comforting.

User Info Menu

Not trying to diminish the seriousness of this criminal act, but....

Today in my home town. One neighbor knifed another in the stomach, 3 more people were knifed at a house party early this morning, several cars broken into, one overdose and numerous reports of shop lifting. I'm still going home tonight.
    Last edited by VVHT; 02-24-2015 at 03:27 PM.

User Info Menu

I get what you are saying VVHT- It's also about perception-"welcome to paradise"..."Another Day in paradise", "No Problem" and so on...you pay for your flight, your accommodation's, your food and drinks cha-ching- cha-ching -cha-ching... the vacation life, people save all year round for that sun, sea and sand... it's not Home- the assumption is- you are in paradise-what can really go wrong?

Be aware-stay safe-play safe and stay Bless! One Love
    Last edited by Lapurr; 02-24-2015 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

The police will find these low life maggots and when they do I predict they will have been 'shot and killed while resisting arrest' Proper thing.
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Funny that all the people comparing and/or justifying that this happens in city such and such. Please get real you are comparing Negril (maybe 15k-20k and that is being generous) to Chicago/Detroit/NY/LA/New Orlean/etc... are cities that are exponentially larger than Negril and in all actuality in some cases larger than Jamaica as a whole.

Administrator

User Info Menu

This pointless tragedy did occur on Lime Tree Lane, which has been referred to as "infamous", "notorious" and "a place to avoid" here on Negril.com. You can do a search by going to the main (Home) page and under the green Entertainment listing is a Search Negril.com space. Type in "Lime Tree Lane" and you will find over 30 references to Lime Tree Lane, even about a double homicide back in June 2009.

As far back as 2008 (as far back as the search feature works) there have been references and warnings to avoid this one particular lane. We are saddened by the death of Ombretta and our thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends, many of whom we know. But unfortunately crime on Lime Tree Lane is nothing new.

That being said, the police are working overtime to stop the "cowardly gunman" as the Commissioner of Police Dr Carl Williams called them.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Use to go there back in 2000 had 2 protectors with me 1 armed to see some ladies I knew on Lime Tree Lane. They waited at the door until I came out. Just like I won't go to Scrub A Dub alone with out A Jamaican and other places .
    Last edited by Limo Mon; 02-24-2015 at 07:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Jamaica is a violent country. If one should let themselves, they could just break down and cry at the situation. We the visitor to the island are so fortunate that we are not usually the victim. On a recent post, I was scoffed at when I told the story of my friend who had to move from his home in Flankers, St James after a woman ran into his front room and was murdered. He, indeed, thought that he and his family were "fi dead" as they were possible witnesses. "Fi dead" is a very common concern for anyone that is even in the vicinity of a crime. For years there have been assaults and murders in Negril and Westmoreland. A few have involved foreigners. Tourists, for now, can visit Negril and other tourist areas in Jamaica with little fear.Tourist are rarely ever the target of a violent criminal. They should certainly take care in choosing the area and time of day when they are out and about. Petty theft has always been a problem in Negril and it seems that the snatch and grab has become somewhat more familiar. If one keeps up with the murder cases in Jamaican courts, they can be, as I am, shocked at the disappearance rate of key witnesses. The conviction or even the arrest rate for rape and murder in Jamaica is unacceptably low. Indeed, there are occasions where nonjudicial "justice' occurs at the hand of law enforcement in Jamaica. Of course, this only fuels more violent behavior. Years ago, when Johnny Cash was robbed and his wife assaulted at his home on the island, the perpetrators only lived a day or so after being found by the constables.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Mon View Post
    Use to go there back in 2000 had 2 protectors with me 1 armed to see some ladies I knew on Lime Tree Lane. They waited at the door until I came out. Just like I won't go to Scrub A Dub alone with out A Jamaican and other places .
    what is "Scrub A Dub"?