Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Be Careful in Negril

User Info Menu

Re: Be Careful in Negril

Sandman, I was the one that had been speaking with the officer here back in early 2011...he'd related the story to me without having known I knew about your incident. He knew in detail what had happened to you and the 'fool' they picked up had the same MO as what you described...he'd admitted to other robberies.

User Info Menu

when we are on vacation we sometimes "forget" common sense.
    - No. We do not. The whole point of going to a small island village for vacation, is so we don't HAVE TO be on high vigilance at all times "like we do at home." Looking over my shoulder every minute is how i have to live at home in the big city - a vacation is supposed to be getting AWAY from that.

doesn't matter how long you have been coming don't get too comfortable.
    then what is the point of going? a place where I can't free up, relax, and let down is not a place I want to go.

after 30 years it's a shame that it's come to this, but no matter HOW much I love and miss the good people, and the culture of JA, there's just no point in being there if i can't be comfortable and relax.

the huge recent explosion of tourism and development comes with a price.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 02-28-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MissBlue View Post
    "when we are on vacation we sometimes "forget" common sense."

- No. We do not. The whole point of going to a small island village for vacation, is so we don't HAVE TO be on high vigilance at all times "like we do at home." Looking over my shoulder every minute is how i have to live at home in the big city - a vacation is supposed to be getting AWAY from that.

"doesn't matter how long you have been coming don't get too comfortable."

then what is the point of going? a place where I can't free up, relax, and let down is not a place I want to go.

after 30 years it's a shame that it's come to this, but no matter HOW much I love and miss the good people, and the culture of JA, there's just no point in being there if i can't be comfortable and relax.

the huge recent explosion of tourism and development comes with a price.
    MissBlue,

Living in Miami Beach (I lived for a while in Lauderdale) you do have to "look over your shoulder". At times when things got crowded in Miami (early 90's) I would carry an empty wallet in my back pocket and my money and credit cards in my front pocket. Pick pockets were everywhere. I would never dream of walking anywhere there at night in the greater Miami area, so I understand where you are coming from.

But the replies you quoted are meant to be helpful advice. To suggest people not use "common sense" anywhere is simply illogical. And I am sure you use common sense wherever you are. Do you walk across a street without looking first? To look first is common sense. Do you strike up a conversation with someone who is obviously drug impaired and agitated? To not do so is common sense. I am sure you see where I am going with this and you would never do those things because you do use common sense.

Using common sense is not the same thing as maintaining "high vigilance" as is required in the Greater Miami Area.

As for the "dont get too comfortable" comment, I have seen countless cases of tourists leaving their bags on the beach and come back hours later - leaving them unprotected. More often than not the bags are still there, but if they are not, that is a case of becoming too comfortable. Just as I have seen visitors passed out on their hotel bed because they left their door not only unlocked but wide open. Another case of becoming too comfortable.

You can come here and be comfortable and relax, thousands are doing it daily. The trip reports here point it out, some are being written on the spot. It is nothing like spending even a day in the Miami area, where even common sense and being on high vigilance leads to no sense of comfort.

Our tourism numbers are up this year, possibly as high as 5%, which can hardly be called an explosion but a healthy increase. There have been no new hotels built in years, the "new" properties are older properties that have been renovated and changed names.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Good points Rob!

I have been the victim of theft before while on vacation (not in Jamaica). While I would never blame the victim, in both cases it was as a result of me being too comfortable (and a little drunk). In one instance I left my camera on a table in a pub, turned my back for a few moments and took a few short steps to the bar to pay my bar tab and when I turned around my camera was gone. The second incident happened when I broke the golden rule of never flashing large amounts of cash. I pulled out a rather large stack of bills to pay for an item and I guess I was being watched becasue not more than a few seconds after I left the establishment I felt a hand in my pocket, before I realized what had happened the perp was gone and I was without my wallet.

Sure, you can go and relax but you ALWAYS need to use common sense and be aware of your surroundings wherever you go (Jamaica or otherwise).

User Info Menu

sorry, guess I can elaborate on my version of "Don't get too comfortable" these are my rules..don't be a target
    Drugs- if you're gonna do them- stay close to home
    Booze- don't get so freaking wasted and stumble down the beach by yourself ( yes, I've seen woman do this )
    Cars- don't get into a car with someone you don't know-especially if alcohol or drugs are involved
    Gold,diamonds,MK,Coach,Prada,Gucci,Chanel- leave it at home- you are going to paradise- Not Paris or New York fashion week
    as far as leaving your beach bag,camera,cellphone - that's really not a concern for me- I've left mine several times and not even glanced over at it..that's petty theft and can be replaced-I've had my car stolen off my driveway and my BBQ out of my backyard at home, that sh!t happens everywhere..

My comfort level in Negril is always set to Glorious ..I'm always in Control- and feel relaxed and enjoy every sunrise and sunset to the fullest- people are Amazing, vibe is amazing and there's nothing better in my opinion, just to hear the music in the background all over Negril..I love it! and the food , the sea, the sun...it is my taste of paradise..miss it already!
    Last edited by Lapurr; 03-02-2015 at 01:08 PM.

User Info Menu

When was the last tourist murdered in Negril?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
    When was the last tourist murdered in Negril?
    Don't know exactly - a long time ago. But when was the last time a tourist was robbed in Negril?
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Good question Kahuna. Stats if available would put some reality to this.

User Info Menu

When was the last tourist scammed in Negril?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by halfwaytree View Post
    When was the last tourist scammed in Negril?
    Not sure. What time is it?