Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Be Careful in Negril

User Info Menu

Be Careful in Negril

Story in today's Jamaica Observer makes it clear that you need to be careful when wandering around Negril.

User Info Menu

Re: Be Careful in Negril

No link?

User Info Menu

Wow. Just read that. Five women shot???? What in the world is going on?

User Info Menu

All that I will say is that Negril needs to get things under control, or tourism there is going to take a serious hit, and soon. I'm thinking real hard about changing up my trip next month and maybe go to Portland instead of Negril, then on to Treasure Beach. This is just crazy. The whole "informer fi dead" culture seems to be getting stronger every year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaherring View Post
    Wow. Just read that. Five women shot???? What in the world is going on?
    Locals know whaagwan just like you do in your hometown.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

This is really getting unnerving! I will still be coming in a few weeks but I guess I am really going to have to rethink future visits unless this kind of thing turns around. I'm sure all the "rose colored glasses" wearers will blame the victims(typical) but truth be told Negril is not a very safe place these days and it will only be a matter of time before it starts to affect tourists. I am really, really sad about the recent events. What is this now 10+ murders in the past 3 months or so? Yes I know, locals, but seemingly all good people. Yes, I know bad thing happen in other places as well but Negril is a small town in reality and to have this many murders in a town (village really) of this size is ridiculous and sad!

User Info Menu

There were two incidents that occurred that left a few longtime Negril tourists a little shaken, they stayed at NBCC and told me about it through passing and were totally shocked as they have been coming for 30 years and never has anything like that happened to them before.

1. 70 year old man was on the beach early in the morning, when a woman came up to him and grabbed his prescription glasses off his face and grabbed his chain off his neck- they did catch her and his items were returned although the chain was broken when she yanked it...however later that day I saw the same woman down the beach by coco la palm - she was let go.
    she obviously has a mental health problem - naked , hungry and thirsty..

2. Another couple was walking from Burger king to Beach club-also in their 70's, not late at night but dark...and a robber tried to steal her side bag- she fought him off - and he made off with nothing, but for an elder lady fighting off robbers is very scary.

You just have to be alert and aware at all times, doesn't matter how long you have been coming don't get too comfortable.

User Info Menu

People have to pay as much attention to their safety in Negril as they would at home. These things happen all over the world but when we are on vacation we sometimes "forget" common sense. I read the article and the posts but it will not stop me from going to a place I love.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    People have to pay as much attention to their safety in Negril as they would at home. These things happen all over the world but when we are on vacation we sometimes "forget" common sense. I read the article and the posts but it will not stop me from going to a place I love.
    I never knew Ottawa was that dangerous. So are you saying wearing prescription glasses, necklaces, and carrying a handbag is not using common sense?
    People need to be way more vigilant towards their own safety in Negril than they need to be where I live. Pretty sure nobody will ever sneak up behind me on a main road and cut the purse strap off my wifes shoulder in Prince Albert.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]