Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jamaican Government Approves Ganja Law Amendment

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaican Government Approves Ganja Law Amendment

Hope they wrote the law the way the geniuses did in Mass where police cannot require you to produce ID so they cannot issue the $50 ticket. Lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Yes, just like a speeding ticket is the same for both locals and visitors alike, this minor fine will be the same for everyone and will not show up on anyone's criminal record (like a parking ticket). But nothing has changed with respect to visitors having some separate set of laws, which has never been the case. Laws are laws.
    Thanks man. We're already getting questions from visitors

Cap
    Last edited by captaind & Linston; 02-25-2015 at 07:41 PM.

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
    Will there still be subs?

Hahahaaaa..

tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock

Administrator

User Info Menu

Hope they wrote the law the way the geniuses did in Mass where police cannot require you to produce ID so they cannot issue the $50 ticket. Lol
    Interesting you say that. The law does state that you have to be able to produce ID. No ID and the issue now becomes more complicated. This is also being discussed as a new traffic law that you must have your driver's license on you. In the past you had 48 hours to produce it, but they are going to amend it to either make you have it on you, or be able to produce it in a short period of time. They do realize that we all sometimes forget things, but the 48 hours has proven to be unworkable as the police systems are being made more efficient.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

While I agree almost entirely with Rob and appreciate his enlightenment, it is a valid question to ask how the new amendments to the Act apply to visitors. At least two countries that have liberalized their drug possession laws, apply the laws differently to visitors than locals. Of course there is almost no chance that Jamaica would even consider doing that and,indeed, the new law has no such provisions. When new laws are enacted anywhere, there can be an initial "flurry" of enforcement just because law enforcement has a tendency to "try out" the new authority. I am pleased to hear that the fine is rather modest. I remember in years past that $10US was the on the spot "fine" for possession in the rare instance when a smoker was actually questioned by a constable. The most worthwhile effect of the new regulations is, as Rob pointed out, that police and courts will be free to better use their time handling serious matters. However, the proponents of the legislation have also touted the prospects of increased revenue from taxes and fees and the profit that Jamaicans will realize from the business development of medicinal and recreational ganja. The Jamaican government has also reassured other nations that they will not decrease their efforts to stop the illegal smuggling of ganja to other countries.In fact with the expected licensing of those that would be involved in ganja growing and distribution, primarily in the medicinal sector, there will be more control of ganja in Jamaica. It will be some time before full effects of the new laws will be realized. I am very happy! Now we can watch as the US capital, the District of Columbia, enacts their new ganja laws, much to the dismay of some congressman.
    Last edited by negrilsand; 02-25-2015 at 08:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Will there still be subs?
    No more subs soon you can call them spliffs.

User Info Menu

Do we know when the new laws take effect?

User Info Menu

Let's understand the new ganja law in Jamaica...

1. It's not legal, it's just been decriminalized. If a cop wants to hassle you, he can seize your stash and give you a $10 ticket.
    2. You cannot smoke it in public unless you are a card-carrying Rastafarian.
    3. The law dealing with where you can and cannot smoke tobacco holds the same for pot.
    4. If you are a tourist with a medical marijuana card, you can legally buy medical marijuana in Jamaica. They will even give you a Jamaican medical marijuana card. But #2 and #3 still apply.
    5. Of course, you can't bring it back with you.

Now, how much of this enforcing is going to go on? Less than before?

Wait, there never really was any enforcement against tourists. Status quo?

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    (Where it's always a Rocky Mountain high.)

User Info Menu

I think what we are witnessing is a gradual roll-out of legislation with the end game being legalization of ganja in Jamaica. Two of the most powerful people in Jamaica are spearheading this effort; Dr. Henry Lowe and Former PM P.J. Patterson. Dr. Lowe already holds a number of patents for Medical Marijuana and has a wide variety of teas and supplements already in the gear-up production stage.
    http://biotechrdi.com/html/index.php...dr-henry-lowe/

Dr. Lowe with the legal assistance of P.J. Patterson has basically laid down the gauntlet to Mark Golding and the Jamaican Government to change the laws or he will take his multi-billion dollar production business to other countries who have a more enlightened view of outdated laws and restrictions. From my watching the process in Accompong Town, I have seen a pick-up in the pace of change. Dr. Henry Lowe has been in contact with several places in Jamaica to establish a medical marijuana processing plant and Accompong Town is one of those places.

Over 30 years time, I have seen change from the beating and locks-cutting of Rastafarians for minor possession to legalize possession of the same quantities. The tremendous monetary benefit to Jamaica from changing the laws and embracing cultivation, processing and distribution of these products is not lost on the Jamaican Government. It may take a little time to get there but it appears that sometime in a one to two year window, this may actually happen.

Peace and Guidance

Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    I think what we are witnessing is a gradual roll-out of legislation with the end game being legalization of ganja in Jamaica. Two of the most powerful people in Jamaica are spearheading this effort; Dr. Henry Lowe and Former PM P.J. Patterson. Dr. Lowe already holds a number of patents for Medical Marijuana and has a wide variety of teas and supplements already in the gear-up production stage.
    http://biotechrdi.com/html/index.php...dr-henry-lowe/

Dr. Lowe with the legal assistance of P.J. Patterson has basically laid down the gauntlet to Mark Golding and the Jamaican Government to change the laws or he will take his multi-billion dollar production business to other countries who have a more enlightened view of outdated laws and restrictions. From my watching the process in Accompong Town, I have seen a pick-up in the pace of change. Dr. Henry Lowe has been in contact with several places in Jamaica to establish a medical marijuana processing plant and Accompong Town is one of those places.

Over 30 years time, I have seen change from the beating and locks-cutting of Rastafarians for minor possession to legalize possession of the same quantities. The tremendous monetary benefit to Jamaica from changing the laws and embracing cultivation, processing and distribution of these products is not lost on the Jamaican Government. It may take a little time to get there but it appears that sometime in a one to two year window, this may actually happen.

Peace and Guidance

Very informative read on Dr Lowe~ thanks for sharing.