Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How much cash? Where do you hide it?

User Info Menu

Re: How much cash? Where do you hide it?

I typically bring about US$500 cash for emergency and secure it in a hotel safe. I rely of ATM to get all cash I need in Jamaican currency - I recommend ATM to get best possible exchange rate. I never had any problems getting cash out of ATM last month, except I had to go to Scotia bank at downtown circle a couple time when Time Square ATM was out of cash. My wife carries another debit card for me as a spare, but never had that problem in our 25years of travel to Ja.

Advise letting all your credit card and debit card providers know you will be in Jamaica, and be aware of your maximum daily ATM withdrawal limit (typically can be anywhere from US$300-500 per calendar day).
    Last edited by frankk; 03-08-2015 at 03:54 PM.

User Info Menu

What frankk said!

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STRIPER View Post
    Only problem I had was at sea splash one year,there policy was clearly stated,loose the safe key and it's a $250 charge as they have to have the lock drilled out,yep lost the dang key in the ocean and 250 later,yuk yuk
    Our daughter stayed at Sea Splash one year and forgot to give the safe and room key back because she was leaving pre daylight to go home! Soooo luckily for her it was only the cost to send it back when she got home! I think it was about $35.00?
    http://negril.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic9303_1.gif

User Info Menu

Prolly not the best idea to say one is traveling with a ton of cash and where they are staying. Pro tip if you do.... Divide your money up into several hiding places and make a map in case you inhale too much or drink too much so you can find your stash. Also not a horrible idea to have a big wad of $1 bills in an easy to find place in case someone comes looking for your stash.

User Info Menu

Not a good idea to tell ANYONE how much cash you bring, or where you stash it...even if it's in the room safe.

User Info Menu

Personally I bring all cash and a higher limit C.C. for emergency's. I bring a lot of denominations as well. (1's, 5's, 10's). I also exchange for local currency. With that being said it tends to be a lot of bills on hand. Usually I use the in room safe's. Many place's that don't have them in room will have safes in the office. I also always bring a pacsafe with me as it can come in handy. http://www.pacsafe.com/travelsafe-5l-portable-safe.html There are different sizes available depending on your needs. Between both I can secure my cash and valuables. I simply take a little of both (US & J) for the day and I'm on my way.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input! Sounds like its best to limit cash on hand and trust the ATM.

User Info Menu

Surprised no one has said this yet, but on the other hand, they are becoming harder and harder to find … we bring travelers cheques. Treehouse cashes them for us no problem. That way we don't have to worry (much).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Wilson View Post
    Surprised no one has said this yet, but on the other hand, they are becoming harder and harder to find … we bring travelers cheques. Treehouse cashes them for us no problem. That way we don't have to worry (much).
    We use them too!! Have never had a problem cashing them, however, some folks consider us "dinosaurs" for still using them. But, if stolen, money is not LOST. That is good for us! We always have our debit card, a credit card and some cash...the travelers cheques are an insurance of sorts. I heard from our bank that they may soon make them like a debit card, but not sure if that is valid or yet available.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

We did travelers checks also but about 5 years ago or more. Since then no issues at all with atm's , no need to carry wads of cash, we just go to Scotia every other day or so and all is well.

jamb