Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Price Guide/Newbie tips

User Info Menu

Re: Price Guide/Newbie tips

Well said~~ and spot on!
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

Love the positive Charela review. Our wedding is there in less than 60 days.

User Info Menu

Love the last statement. The whole thing is pretty awesome.

User Info Menu

Thank you for all the kind words. Respect. I should add one more point- the staff at Coco Lapalm was friendly and fantastic. As many others have said, breakfast can move a bit slow. The coffee was top notch and the wait was filled with soft reggae and sea views. What's the hurry?
    Vernon at the bar and Gibson on the beach (security with pointy stick) are true pro's and great guys. The front desk folks cater to your needs with a smile. I will put a review on Tripadvisor with a few small negatives but overall everybody we talked to enjoyed Coco.

User Info Menu

Thanks Iowa. Beautifully and intelligently said.

My 10th trip coming up in June and we're again at Idle Awhile.

Will make sure we stop in next door to Coco.

Thanks again. You are so right about the tipping.

[link=http://www.caribbeanmag.com/cd/vc/][image noborder]http://www.caribbeanmag.com/cd/Jamaica/Back_to_Negril/201506131100_37.gif[/image][/link]
    Last edited by Green Flash Kids; 04-07-2015 at 11:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Great advice all around. We also love Charela and the staff is unbeatable -- many of them have been there 20 plus years. And your recommendation on over-tipping is spot on. For the housekeepers, waiters, beach guys etc, a few extra dollars can make a big difference. At the end of our stay, I leave an envelope at the front desk to be passed around among the staff to tip the people you don't see (in the kitchen and the grounds keepers). And we can see directly how pleased and appreciative they all are -- and helps get everyone through the slow times in the summer.

User Info Menu

Great thread and wonderful information.

User Info Menu

Nice review, written by someone who loves Negril
    Spot on about booking MoBay (early) if you plan on traveling in March on the weekend. Upon arrival we sped through the 2-3 hour long passport control line. Had to wait for our bags to come out, then had refreshments at the arrival lounge before meeting up with our driver, Breezy. Check Sangster FlightStats for their arrival schedule--I saw there were planes arriving every few minutes on a Saturday afternoon and knew there would be hundreds of people arriving around the same time. Departing on a Wednesday evening in March we didn't need fast track through security, but we filled up on food and dirty bananas in the Club MoBay lounge, and didn't have to think about food on the plane.
    On the beach...
    Make sure you order Kuyaba's peanut butter ice cream pie with chocolate sauce--sooo yummy!
    On the beach in the same area as Coco and Charela, I would add eating dinner at Chill Awhile--the restaurant at Idle Awhile. It isn't inexpensive and the menu is small, but the service and food are good, their rum punch is tasty and the atmo is quiet and peaceful.
    For lunch we ordered lunch to go from the grill adjacent to the bar at White Sands--the fish sandwiches with jerk mayo and fries were very good.
    Best and the West on the road near Coco for chicken and cole slaw (eat there to take out).
    Niah's patties (near Lazy Days) are great and the experience is pure Jamaican local! If you want lobster patties, bring your own lobster or give Niah the money the day before and he will buy the lobster and make your lobster patties. While you are waiting, shop at the craft market or wander over to Tony's bar to get out of the sun and pass the time.
    On the cliffs...
    if you go to Ivan's for dinner, get your table and order before sunset. They get a surge of diners leaving Rick's Cafe after the sun sets. Ivans can handle the crowd, but I am in JA to escape crowds, especially bus loads of groups. The food is great at Ivan's, we always take the leftover's home to microwave and eat for lunch the next day.
    Rockhouse is one of my faves too. The smaller local places--all wonderful.
    We stay on the beach and whenever we dine on the cliffs, we ask our driver Breezy to stop at Quality, to shop for groceries. They are open late, 10 or 11? The store carries restaurant supplies and basic foods, veggies, booze, sunscreen, etc. Breezy always helps us pick out some local treat to try. Shopping at night after dinner means we don't waste precious time during the day.
    A reminder to newbies--drop by the bank before you travel. Stock up on ones and fives for tipping and buying things from beach vendors.
    So many more places to try! Look forward to the next trip.

User Info Menu

This is one of the best posts I've seen, and I've seen some really good ones. All very useful tips, I really love the reminder about tipping like you're a little crazy. We'll be headed to Negril for a week and then on to Mo Bay after that for 4 days in February. Our first trip to Jamaica and I can't wait.

User Info Menu

BaileysMom I agree this was a great review/tips. We leave in 2 days and helps out.