Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Blue Mountain Coffee Packs from Airport Store

User Info Menu

Bad Blue Mountain Coffee Packs from Airport Store

All,

Like to share a bad experience getting ground coffee as gifts from Mobay Airport "Blue Mountain Coffee" store at departure terminal. They seemed to be vacuum packed but result was so old it didn't even smell like coffee any more. Darned shame because we spent a lot of money on that coffee.

My point here is to warn you guys to get coffee somewhere else.

User Info Menu

Re: Bad Blue Mountain Coffee Packs from Airport Store

I did buy what I thought to be good coffee from Cafe Goa - but only problem was it came in an unsealed plain plastic bag not suitable to be given as a gift. Too bad.

User Info Menu

no expiration date?

User Info Menu

My friends brought me back some Jablum in January and the expiration date was Sept 2014. Was not very good.

User Info Menu

Expiry date of what we got was sometime in 2016. I think we will get the Cafe Goa coffee for ourselves and find something other than coffee for gifts.

User Info Menu

Thunder's Coffee is awesome. Expensive, but awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankk View Post
    Expiry date of what we got was sometime in 2016
    Thanks for the warning.

I was tempted to buy some last time.

I will stick to drinking it in JA, maybe with some rum cream

User Info Menu

Back in the early '90s, I stayed a time or two with an old friend James Dennis who had a small coffee plantation and a guest accommodation (very rustic) near Hardwar Gap in the Blue Mountains. "Baps" (as I called him) was an old man then so he has probably passed but he grew what many consider to be the finest "coffee on Earth". I can't say that but it was black and syrupy and awfully strong. I wrote about my stay there one time and will try to look it up for anyone interested. Anyways, here is a link to a National Geographic Adventure story about him. http://adventure.nationalgeographic....om-clynes-text

He never produced enough to really go commercial with it but did supply a few aficionados with a private stash. He introduced me to the Wallenford plantation and, in fact, he did often sell them some of his beans. Wallenford is the only Jamaican Coffee I purchase now and it is quite expensive as well. They always "sell out" all they produce so it doesn't stay on the shelves long enough to go stale. Here is a link to them http://shop.wallenford.com/

Some things I look for bargains when purchasing but I am willing to pay the price for the best.

Hope this helps someone get some good coffee next time.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

It's cheaper to buy at the grocery store any ways and you have more of a choice of brands, I alway bring home 5lbs of at least 3 diff. brand and then its packed away.

User Info Menu

One year on the way home I bought one of the big bags of beans at the airport, 5lbs I think, and it was expensive.

It was also not very good. I won't do that again.