Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: End of an era for Negril? 4 story buildings now allowed...

User Info Menu

End of an era for Negril? 4 story buildings now allowed...

User Info Menu

Re: End of an era for Negril? 4 story buildings now allowed...

I am sad to hear that

User Info Menu

Very sad.
    In Loving Memory of William 'Bunny Rugs' Clarke, Lead Singer of Third World:

"There's a land not so far away/Where the sun keep shinning all through the day/And this land that we all love/God gave us the wood and the water/Blessed by the moon and stars above/Sweet, sweet Jamaica/Beautiful Jamaica/Everyday feels like a holiday/Sweet reggae music playing/From Negril to Morant Bay/Sweet, sweet Jamaica/Oh Jamaica/Irie, irie, irie Jamaica/Sweet Jamaica our land we love"

Administrator

User Info Menu

There will be no doubt a lot of talk about "devastating" and "ruining" Negril and the surrounding areas, but as anyone who has been paying attention to the development over the years, the "4 storey" line has been flirted with already in Negril. While I may not want to see properties that are 4 storeys, I am personally glad the new Development Order, which will now permit a maximum of four storeys for buildings, not exceeding a height of 50 metres has added an actual maximum height and maximum storeys so there is no question or room for "skirting" the previous rules.

This may also create a need for elevators, which will allow those with mobility issues to enjoy the beautiful views that the single extra storey will allow. We may even see some 4th floor rooftop restaurants which can be very romantic at night.

Negril was once a place you had to camp on the beach in a tent or find a family in Red Ground or the West End who would rent you a bed, there were no hotels. But the 1970's are long over and as with anything, change is inevitable. Change occurred when the first hotels were built to meet the needs of the traveler who didnt want to camp in a tent or stay in someone's home. I am sure that many of you welcome the fact there are a choice of hotels now.

Like the addition of sidewalks and traffic lights, Negril, by adding a single storey and setting a maximum height, is moving forward to supply the wants and needs of Negril future visitors.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I don't think we have to worry about it turning into a Cancun..at least there are specific rules now

User Info Menu

The specific height rule is what is what will keep it from getting out of line and glad to see it implemented. Also great is the NON-Change of the high water setback provision, eliminating future encroachment. Negril will continue to evolve and it makes me happy to see it is being done in a responsible manner. Now, if the Breakwater project was being eliminated, I'd be ecstatic.

User Info Menu

so sad... it will never be the same paradise we fell in love with....

User Info Menu

Might one think this is pursuant to a request from developers of the Grand Lido site?

User Info Menu

All things change.

User Info Menu

I think we all can agree that the 7-mile beach and Negril are probably the most valued areas for tourism in all of Jamaica. Putting a strict limit on height and setback requirements do just as much good to keep big money foreigners out as it does to entice Jamaican property owners to develop their properties.

Everyone that is waxing nostalgic about the "Negril of yesterday" and the "Negril they fell in love with" just have to accept the inevitable development as a natural progression of Jamaica's march into the future. You are certainly not going to see more (as Rob wrote)
    Negril was once a place you had to camp on the beach in a tent or find a family in Red Ground or the West End who would rent you a bed, there were no hotels.
    But you may still see updated favorites like CCLP, Nirvana, Whistling Bird, etc. now having more rooms available and more with great views at the same time.

Once the playing field is leveled a bit then (I would hope) Jamaican property owners will step up to the plate and develop alternative properties to RIU, Sandals, and the next Mega-Golopies.

Just my opinion.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.