Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: End of an era for Negril? 4 story buildings now allowed...

User Info Menu

Re: End of an era for Negril? 4 story buildings now allowed...

linston@redplate-negril.com

Administrator

User Info Menu

After seeing those pictures from the early 70's (excellent - click on it if you havent already), I read something that i feel is important to this over all topic of Negril and its future.

"Change too much and die, but not changing is a risk also. Atrophy is a powerful fact of life; sometimes you have to change to remain the same."

Negril in the early 70's was a magical place. No one thought anything of a horse ride on the beach, as there was no one on the beach who thought anything of it. The hundreds of visitors back then experienced something that they will never forget. Rick's was still a home, with the original pool still filled with water before it became a bar and then covered over to create more space. But it was still the place to meet for sunset and even hold a wedding. Rockhouse was a beautiful spot, with only minimal concrete and small bridges connecting the natural rock formations. Those early visitors went back home with incredible stories and their friends began to come down in greater numbers. The "handwriting on the wall" can literally be read on the "Coming Soon Negril Beach Club sign" that was displayed on the beach back then. No one worried about the water or electricity as there wasnt any. Collecting rain water supplied the necessary supply and waste disposal wasnt really thought about as an issue since there were so few people in Negril at the time.

In the late 70's, 80's and early 90's, Negril was a magical place, even though it could take a day to reach Negril from MoBay depending on the road conditions. Rick's was now a full fledged Cafe and turned the original pool into a bar and had beads for drinks they offered for their daily sunset crowd. Kaiser's and Sam Sara held incredible live reggae shows each week at night to entertain the new influx of tourists. Rockhouse added to their already beautiful property while maintaining its natural beauty. Those were special times. The increase in visitors caused many new properties to be built, with candles in every room since the electricity was unreliable. Properties were still using rainwater and adding water trucks to supply natures most necessary commodity. Ice trucks were a daily common sight. The Elephant Cess Pool truck along with others carried away the refuse from the properties that didnt allow it to drain directly into the sea. The sea was big and the number of visitors still relatively small, but people knew things had to change. So the first plans were made for water mains as well as reliable electricity by the government.

In the late 90's and early 2000's, Negril was a magical place. Families and friends could come and visit a wide choice of places to stay and spend time playing in the clean, crystal clear Caribbean and enjoy sunsets on the beach or cliffs. And of course Rick's Cafe was now a sunset institution in Negril. The original pool was gone. On the beach, there were near nightly live reggae shows and the partying continued to near sunrise thanks to the somewhat reliable electricity. The horses on the beach were gone, but no one missed them because visitors were now busy riding the wave runners in the sea. Ice cold drinks still relied on the ice trucks and the ice-picked chunks of ice. Drinkable tap water and electricity on demand were almost common. Until now, Negril had grown little by little with not much direct guidance by the government. But with the increasing numbers of visitors it now made planning for the future growth of Negril a government priority.

Negril in the late 2000's was a magical place. The "road to Negril" was complete and you could now get from MoBay to Negril in less than an hour an a half. There were places to stay of every description, from massive All-Inclusives to the small family yard guest homes not much different than the early 70's. There were now restaurants offering a wide variety of fare, from lobster to burgers. WiFi became available as the world had began to rely more heavily on the Internet. Everyone had a phone (or two) and people wouldnt have to worry about staying in touch even with their family at home. There was cold drinks and blender drinks available everywhere. Day trips to places like the Pelican Bar on the south coast became routine. Negril was spreading its wings and growth became necessary.

Negril now is a magical place. Rockhouse is still a beautiful property, although larger than it was in the 70's. The pictures from the early 70's I first mentioned still have counterparts visible today. Taking a walk on the far West End or Red Ground can make you feel like you have taken a step back in time to those early days. You can see daily pictures from this part of our Jamaican paradise thanks to the Internet. The food options have grown to include Vietnamese and Mexican. Wine and beer choices have improved to the point you can enjoy a ice cold Stella beer on the beach! Sidewalks are being built, traffic lights implemented and building codes being put in place to control the growth and keep Negril the magical place it has always been.

Sometimes you do need to change to stay the same...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Well said man!

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

I liken this to the discussion people often have about the "REAL" Negril or the "REAL" Jamaica. People who stay in bargain accommodations often refer to experiencing the "REAL" Negril when comparing their stay to someone at an All Inclusive. Some people who experienced Negril in days gone by (myself included) seem to think that experiencing it in the '60s was somehow more "REAL" than experiencing it in later decades. I ask myself, "Was the lack of current and sanitation a more REAL experience than having it now?"

When you have never been to Negril and decide to go this year for the first time, you will experience the REAL Negril because it is real to you and you have nothing to compare it with to make it otherwise.

I have stayed in Firefly's beach cabins in the 80's, JahBs and Juba's in the 90's, the defunct Negril Yacht Club countless times and each visit was unique and each experience was REAL. Some were real pains in the kiester like thin, spongy foam beds and no running water etc. but I look fondly upon each visit.

Old time travelers look nostalgically at the days gone by and wish that they could relive them and somehow think that keeping Negril "just like it was when they visited" would somehow keep it more REAL.

In 5 years time or less, people will be looking off an older properties 2 story verandah over at a spanking new 4 story verandah and believe that somehow their experience is more real.

Just my opinion.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

For "REAL" mon,yuk ...

User Info Menu

I kind of like some of the 'improvements' of the last 18 years since I've been visiting. There are fewer power outages, more hot water, and wifi is a blessing. Phones and phone cards are a fraction of what they are at home.

The old road was a bigger adventure however. I only got to travel on the full old road once, but a 90 minute journey to Negril is better than 2 and a half hours ( on a good day).

I'm with Accompong and Rob, but I really hope they stop at 4 stories for a while.