Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What you wished you knew...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: What you wished you knew...

I agree! DO NOT exchange money at the airport!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

There is a reason why the line at the airport currency exchange kiosk is short (if there is anyone exchanging money at all). Their rates are terrible.
    Johio

User Info Menu

Become familiar with the exchange rate and currency denomination. Right now it’s $1US to $115JA. When you exchange your money, kindly request as many $500, $100 & $50JA bills as you can. Do meet up with folks from the board as soon as you can. Their suggestions, advice and knowledge of the runnings will help keep your days less stressful and more irie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Jamaicans are friendlier and more out-going than you may be used to!

I grew up and still live in Minnesota, people from New York City are friendlier and more out-going than I am used to. I got to travel growing up and I learned pretty early on that 'Minnesota Nice' is really just 'Minnesota Passive-Aggressive'.

This is a big reason why we are going to Jamaica. Every Jamaican I've met (spent a spell in Santa Cruz CA, plenty of Jamaicans round there) would get in anybodies face if they had a problem, so when they were nice I knew that they meant it, and they were damn near always nice.

User Info Menu

You'll hear "Respect" a lot. Start by learning something about the history and culture of Jamaica. I recommend the Insight Guide series. Respect is personal as in "show me some respect for what I do by being generous". Everybody is an entrepreneur. Some are more persistently so than others. First sale of the day brings luck. No need to pay too much for something, but if it feels like a fair price to me, I stop negotiating and pay up. Look for stuff that is obviously locally sourced - carvings, some jewelry, some clothing. Be patient. It's easier when you're sober! If the drug salesmen are a bother, hold you hand up, palm out, wave it back and forth and say, "No thanks, Christian." Respect --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

I am sure we will cross paths down there. I think this is my tenth or so trip to negril. We are getting married on the 19th.

User Info Menu

Walk on the right hand side of the road {on the cliff road} There's nice sidewalks now on the beach road. be aware, be careful. Yes, on the small flashlight. Leave bling at home. Smile. Be happy. Have an open mind. Show respect. Have FUN! Good luck. Go to the Seastar for the Saturday night reggae show & buffet. Skip the other"buffett" on da beach. Sorry Jimmy. Be adventurous. Do the one love bus with Lenbert & Lattecha. Tell him Rock n roll farmer sent ya. Don't pee in the ocean! Yamon' evryting IRIE!

User Info Menu

My first trip was in 1982, but that was to Ocho Rios - Couples Jamaica. I wish I knew that you didn't have to bring ganja with you to Jamaica. I did, just like I did for all the places I'd already traveled to around the world.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    (Where it's always a Rocky Mountain high.)

User Info Menu

LOLOLOL....Bringing ganja TO Jamaica is a new one for me, I must admit!!! (though, some candy for the plane ride is always nice!!)

User Info Menu

Four years in AIs..Wished I knew!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home"
    Drink Eat be IRIE!