Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Credit card fraud

User Info Menu

Credit card fraud

Have you had this happen to you while in or back from Jamaica?

[/url]

User Info Menu

Re: Credit card fraud

...Ummmm..... Yes, @ the airport ...
    Duty Free , thought it would be secure ..shortly after our return

User Info Menu

this last december, at the duty free at airport. just got the charges reversed!! brazen!!!
    also, a couple of years ago, i withdrew money at black river, no money came out, never recouped that one!!!

User Info Menu

I see a pattern here. I'm staying far away from the duty free shop (good thing I don't smoke or drink hard liquor) and keeping my credit card in a protective sleeve.

Negril1990, if you do a forum search you will find a couple other threads on this subject. I seem to remember one from Flipadelphia from last year.

User Info Menu

Twice ............. in Chicago both times ........... staying over night for a early morning flight to Jamaica .................. never had an issue in Jamaica

User Info Menu

Get a card with a chip and you won't have to worry.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    (Where it's always a Rocky Mountain high.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fawnridge View Post
    Get a card with a chip and you won't have to worry.
    Not all point of sale system accept the chips yet. Cards can still be charged (and stollen) the "old way" - via the information displayed on the card. Any type of manual entry can be used (e.g., online, a virtual terminal, and/or a Square type of processor).

If you are paying via credit card and the checkout clerk is using their cell phone, wait until they put it down to present your card. Otherwise, they could be taking a picture of the card to use later.

User Info Menu

Given that so many charges now are online or otherwise remote in some fashion, I'm sure I understand how the new chip cards are going to significantly increase security. As far as I can tell, the chip only comes into play at point of purchase swipes. I received a new card with a chip a few months ago and 80% or more of my charges have been on-line or at a gas pump.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, there are those who take advantage of others. Here are some of the most commonly used methods. Be diligent and be aware of all surroundings and transactions

Cell Phone Camera Scam
     While paying for a purchase with your card, someone INCLUDING SERVER OR CLERK, could be using their cell phone to take a
    picture of your card number, expiration date and name
    Card Switch
     After making a purchase, a wrong card is intentionally returned to you. your card has been replaced with a
    cancelled or declined card, and if unnoticed at the time of the transaction, the fraudster can go on a
    shopping spree with your card. Always check your card when given back to you. If you don't report a lost
    or stolen card, you are responsible for it.
    Restaurant and Store Skimming
     Small, pocketable skimming devices, which can be used by restaurant servers and store cashiers

Try NOT to let your card out of your sight

User Info Menu

This is why I always use cash in Jamaica.

I always get flamed for saying I always pay cash. But in 14 trips to Jamaica I've never had a problem.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*