Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: west end walking with kid

User Info Menu

Re: west end walking with kid

IMHO if you stay alert to the traffic, walking on the cliff road during the day is not all that dangerous. I always walk facing the traffic and make sure I move as far as I can off the road when vehicles approach. Granted, there are a few spots where it seems like there is little or no room to move off the road but for the most part it is not an issue. Walking with little kids would be one thing but for a 12 year old I think it would be no problem.

The cars do come speeding along that road so when crossing the road I make sure to look both ways and make sure the way is well clear before stepping out into the road.

Wearing bright coloured clothing to make yourself more visible is also a good idea.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the great info! Booger your days would make us happy... the kid maybe not so much. Canoe bar and German bar sounds like a great combo though. snorkeling and pizza can only be a good day. Mike D you're right on track! Xtabi and 3 dives seems like a good combo too. As well as home sweet home and Jenny's. Snorkeling and cake works great too!
    Much appreciated!

User Info Menu

A 12 year old will have no problem walking along the west end during the day. I agree with the Xtabi and Negril Escape recommendations - both are great snorkeling spots but I would give Xtabi the edge because of the caves that would be great fun for a 12 year old!

User Info Menu

the 12 year old will be bored at ALL spots that dont have water access or a pool...trust me, I am a big 12 year old at heart...
    my suggestions would be Ricks for the divers, it is something to see, regardless of how commercial it is....i think the child would enjoy it..he could also jump from the smaller levels....negril escape, sunset on the cliffs, home sweet homethese 3 have both sea entrance and pools and a place to jump....Samsara has not been mentioned, but has a lot to offer, wading pool, regular pool....and great jumping and swimming...but i would say Xtabi is a dont miss, because of the caves, pool is across the street, but you can jump, snorkel, explore caves....
    2009 trip http://www.negril.com/cgi-bin/discus.cgi?pg=prev&topic=196641&page=272185

2010 halloween---no TR

trip 2012
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/5589-Trip-report-sept-1-14-including-pelicanbar-catcha-legends-samsara-pubcrawl-etc

trip 2013
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/8323-gettin-my-groove-on-quot-TRIP-report-quot-boardie-bash-style-april21-may11-2013

.trip 2014
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/11962-Trip-report-Boardie-Bash-2014-best-trip-yet

User Info Menu

Groove16. Thank you! I wasn't sure if one could just show up at a cliff side hotel and use their facilities.... Seems like it's not a big deal if you are buying drinks or snacks. Lower season better as well. fortunately the kid is a pretty well seasoned traveler used to a mellow flow. A sprite and a tablet = tween happy hour. Maybe next time we do west end and beach stay. Good time to check out the various properties...

User Info Menu

Avoid walking for a few hours before sunset. The buses and vans heading to Ricks really picks up around that time. Once you're past Ricks traffic is much lighter at that time.

If you're looking for ocean access to snorkel you may want to check out Pee Wee's or Xtabi. Snorkeling between Pee Wee's and the Blue Cave Castle is good....so I hear.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15