Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: west end walking with kid

User Info Menu

west end walking with kid

Hey all. We are heading down in a couple of weeks...staying on the beach. this is our second trip to Negril. We would like to explore the west end a little bit. we have only been to Ricks for a drink and LTU for dinner. we are traveling with a 12 year old who loves to snorkel. is there a hotel on the West End where we might be able to hang out with an awesome view or possibly pool and have drinks/snacks and or lunch and let the kid have at it snorkeling? Since we would be taxi-ing from the beach we would love to hit a couple of different bars/restaurants/hangouts in one ride. Also want to check out aubies. We are planning a lunch/beach/snorkeling at Canoe bar but it seems like we really can't walk anywhere from there. Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Re: west end walking with kid

I personally would not walk along the cliffs more than 50 yards.

I would recommend Xtabi to hang and snorkel.

User Info Menu

You can hang at Canoe for the beach and drinks, however you have better food options close by. German bar has great pizza as well as some German items like Brats and is close. You also have Mi Yard just down the road which I consider Jamaican fast food.

From there you can take a taxi down to Sir D's and have a beer or two. Stumble 300 feet down the street and have one or two with Sexy Rexy. From there you can walk down to LTU and grab a drink or two. If you chill a bit at each place you can work up an appetite and head to Aubie's and share a burger.

From Aubie's you can head to Ivan's and take in the sunset, maybe share an appetizer while enjoying a great drink from the solid bartenders at the bar. Night cap at Eddie's Debar where you can share some chicken, lobster(in season), as well as several other options. If you want a wood carving you can walk down to Bobo's shop across from Rockhouse Hotel. He is toward the end of the stalls set up on the Morass side. Just yell Bobo if you do not see his shop and someone will lead the way.

If you want to play dominoes with some locals Debar is a good option as well as Spyda's which is a taxi ride from Eddie's and across the street from Blue Cave Castle. If you get the munchies you can grab a killer bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich or bacon mac and cheese down at Jenny's. The owner Connie is a hoot and an amazing cook.

There are many more options as well, I just laid out a typical day for me if I am staying on the beach and need a day on the Best End. The key is to SLOW DOWN and enjoy the vibe. You can certainly walk down the West End with a 12 year old. Just make sure you stick glued to the side of the road and keep your head up and eyes on the traffic. I like to walk against traffic, but do switch it up if the other side of the road has more room.

I do take a taxi once the sun goes down. They are cheap and plentiful and with a lack of sidewalks and the occasional opportunist it just makes sense. If you need a driver for the day I can recommend a couple of drivers.

Shane Taxi a red plate driver can be reached at 876-572-3599. I would check with him before hand to see if he is available as he does tours and airport transfers. He can pick you up and drop you off, or he can pick you up and hang out with you the entire time, for an additional fee of course.

I have another driver that I use every time, however I need to verify that he has successfully received his red plate. He was awaiting the bureaucracy when I was in town a few weeks ago. I have a message out and will update this thread once I hear back.

My feedback is assuming you are a newbie, so my apologies if you are not new to this.

User Info Menu

Nice Booger....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
    I personally would not walk along the cliffs more than 50 yards.

I would recommend Xtabi to hang and snorkel.
    Huh? Why is that? The road can be a bit dodgy due to traffic and no sidewalks, but other than that there is no major issue in walking the west end (the violence spree seems to have passed for now).

User Info Menu

Another option if you want to chill out and let the young'in snorkel for a while is Home Sweet Home. They have a restaurant and bar onsite, as well a pool that visitors are welcome to use. In addition, the snorkeling from HSH is some of the best since there is a coral canyon right off the cliffs. From there, you can walk to Jenny's, Spyda's, No Limit or Pee Wee's very easily.

If you were to follow Booger's plan, you can also stop at Negril Escape for snorkeling and swimming after you hit Ahh Bee's. The restaurant there is kinda mediocre and the property a little drab, but they do welcome outside guests, they have a big pool and they have a large expanse of cliffs. They also have that cool lighthouse that you can jump from, if you are so inclined.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't walk along the west end road with a child. Traffic is fast and dangerous. be safe and take a taxi, they are plentiful and cheap. Don't miss having a burger at AhhBee's!! best burger on the planet!

User Info Menu

Is it me or is this comment absolutely wrong! I am the exact opposite and prefer the cliffs to the beach any day! The people and vendors are much friendlier. I do not like to walk on a beach that buries the dog and horse **** under the sand. when walking on the beach always wear shoes for risk parasites!

User Info Menu

The Child is 12 years old ... You'll be fine ... be aware of traffic & lack of sidewalks & narrow shoulders on the road
    If ya don't feel safe ..grab a cab

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    Huh? Why is that? The road can be a bit dodgy due to traffic and no sidewalks, but other than that there is no major issue in walking the west end (the violence spree seems to have passed for now).
    TAH - that was just my opinion. I have had a few close calls (and even seen an accident) with cars so I don't walk far on the cliffs...also turned an ankle in a pothole. My comment was purely in reference to traffic and no sidewalks.