Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Mayfield Falls

User Info Menu

Mayfield Falls

If you haven't been, or have for that matter, make sure to check it out on your next reach. Chukka, the "attraction" company in Jamaica has taken over the property. Not sure if they purchased or whatever the technicalities of the matter but our guide informed us they plan on adding zip lines and more " sprucing" up of the property.

When asked how he feels about the changes our guide had mixed feelings. He didn't elaborate but I can only assume the pro is more visitors = more income for all workers involved and con is the untouched beauty will slowly be compromised. I expect a future YS with the pool and gift shop and all the tourist attractions that go along with that. Sad for some but I guess that's just the same as the new hotel height situation. Change is inevitable. I'm just glad we were able to experience this place the way it should be. Had a trip to Roaring River and their Blue Lagoon back in 2010. Was sad to see the changes to the lagoon and would much prefer my memory of the place rather than revisit and ruin my imagery.

just a heads up to inform you time is ticking on this attraction. My favorite so far.........for now
    Bar b barn '10 Catcha '11 BCC '13 Moonlight 14' Xtabi 14' HSH 15' Catcha 15'

User Info Menu

Re: Mayfield Falls

We love Mayfield Falls!- We will always return to visit them again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Mayfield Falls

Last time we were at the Original Mayfield Falls, they had their gift shop, bar and restaurant operating. But after checking it out, I dont think this is one that Chukka will now be "sprucing up". There are two sides to the Mayfield Falls, I have not been to the other one in decades, but both had been offering the same riverwalk adventure on the same river and falls. The two operations should still be available, one now operated by Chukka Tours.

Here is a "blast from the past from 2000:

http://www.realnegril.com/beingees/nn060801.htm

YS Falls has no connection to Chukka Tours other than the zipline. The same owners have made the other additions since the first time I visited there in the mid 80's and they have been substantial. You can now get food, cold drinks and gifts there. The hand carved steps and natural roots that took you to the top of the falls had no railing back then and every time it rained the steps turned into a muddy mess, impossible to pass. There was no zipline down the entire length of the falls, which is still stunning sight. For those unable to make he climb today, there is now a pool to relax in. In 1985, if you couldnt make the climb, all you could do was walk around and take pictures and hope your driver had cold drinks!

Here is a picture from 1996:

http://www.realnegril.com/beingees/nn050796.htm

And here is one from 2012:

http://negril.com/nt/nt051212.htm
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!