Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 Legs??

User Info Menu

40 Legs??

I just read something about a bug in Jamaica called a Forty Legs. Has anyone ever seen one or been bitten by one in Negril? I'm a huge arachnophobiac and these things creep me out even if they aren't a spider! They can be really big, like 6" long and are FAST. And they have venom?

User Info Menu

Re: 40 Legs??

I've seen plenty up in the hills. Never got stung.

Don't mess with them

CaP

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

I have personally killed two 40 legs of around 5 - 6 inches in my bedroom. They come in when the weather is wet and cold.

The Maroons (and I would guess many Jamaicans) catch them and put them in a bottle of white rum and let it sit for a spell until they drink the rum and eat the 40 legs. Much like the agave worm in Mexico I guess.

Peace and Guidance

Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Over the past few decades here, I have seen the occasional "40 leg". They are becoming less common. But I have been bit twice. Apparently I dont react to the bite. They arent that fast, I have killed everyone I have seen over the years. I was told to do this by my early Jamaican friends after moving here because they tend to live/hide in dark, damp places that little kids like to explore. The bite can be harmful to a child.

In populated areas, such as Negril, MoBay and Kingston, encountering a 40 leg is becoming more rare. Birds, mongoose and even lizards eat them and keep their populations down. Out in the country, hiding under rocks, rotting trees and other dark, damp areas you can find them more commonly if you are looking.

A home remedy for a bite is a concoction made with a dead 40 leg in an old rum bottle filled with, you guessed it, white overproof rum! Rub the rum on the bite and it acts as an anti-venom.

If you have seen Doctor No, the first James Bond film, when James was whacking that harmless non-Jamaican tarantula (which was walking on a piece of glass above Sean Connery in the scene) - that is the perfect way to kill a 40 leg. You smash it with a shoe as hard and often as you want, to the point of overkill... (pun intended).

They really are an incredible centipede, with their ancestors being on this planet for around 400 million years. But if you do happen to see one, as Captain said above, dont mess with it unless you are going to imitate James Bond.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Last week I was talking with a buddy who lives on the island. He was in Ocho Rios a week ago Monday and got bite by a forty legs, laid him up for almost two days!

I have never seen one in 23 years of traveling to Jamaica. Lucky me!!

User Info Menu

www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8wPLfYviWQ. Have a look at the guy's pet
    If you are worried about something, do something about it. If there is nothing you can do, why worry!

User Info Menu

"... if mi see one a dem bumboclaat 40 leg, mi CHOP him to rasclaat!" Lmao! Yep!

Thanks for the info Rob. Interesting!

User Info Menu

Next time I get a knock on my hotel door to keep the noise down, i'll just say "me just see a forty LEGGER " !

User Info Menu

I'm told they could be stored like this to be used as anti-venom
    Name:  Negril Dec 2012 084.jpg
Views: 6420
Size:  93.8 KB

User Info Menu

Just EEEEUUUUUUUWWWWWW!