Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to not look/act like a noob?

User Info Menu

Question How to not look/act like a noob?

Hi all,

So it seems that people new to Negril/Jamaica seem to get pestered more than people that have been there a few times.

So my question is, how does someone that has never been there not appear to be a noob?

One thing it seems to me (and I do this anyhow) is respect all people no matter what they do.

Like would people get offended if you try to talk like a local to them? Like "whatta gwan" or when haggling with locals "can ya take off a ting". A former coworker that was born in Kingston told me a few things in patois a long time ago.

Anything else that would be helpful?

Thanks,
    CM

User Info Menu

Re: How to not look/act like a noob?

If you are comfortable using some of the local slang, go for it. I dont go too deep with is, but sometimes I will greet a higgler with a whagwan. It doesn't always or even usually stop the sales approach, but more often than not, they back off the hard sell and recognize that you've been before and only ask once.

User Info Menu

I think they can smell fear... so Walk Positive!

on the other end... they also know EXCITEMENT AND WONDER- its easy to tell the noobs by this.

As mentioned before in Smith's memiors- Jamaicans are great at reading body language

User Info Menu

Pro tip... The moment you step outside your room. Lite up a fat J. Then relax and let gravity come into full effect.

User Info Menu

Don't let your concerns of making the right impression get in the way of enjoying your first trip! I went my first time this April by myself. It was incredible. I got my bearings and let the overwhelming emotions settle by grabbing a seat on a beach chair and just watching the action for a few hours. I wanted to see all the "dreaded hassling" before I put myself in that situation. After reading a lot of posts about the hustle and haggle and threats, I was uncomfortable with the expectations of such. After being there for about 24 hours, I felt like I was home. I had NO issues, no harassment, no one pressuring me into buying their stuff. It was an incredible experience and I am looking forward to my next trip. Do people approach you, almost all the time. Do you look like a sucker? Depends. I think confidence, honesty, a genuine interest and a purposeful gait help you avoid some of the hustle. You can't go out on the beach if you want/expect people to leave you alone. But how they talk to you depends on how you talk to them. Don't try to fake it, be yourself.

User Info Menu

Too funny! NOOB = New Bee!! Love it

Walked with Keith through the Craft Market by the Round a Bout on day 3 of our vacation. Came in through the back way, first stairs after you cross the bridge. Almost no hassle at all. Must have been the Pirates Cave shirt I was wearing or the fact that I wasn't wide eyed with fear and was walking directly toward the wood carvers hut and walked in like we knew where we were going....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    on the other end... they also know EXCITEMENT AND WONDER- its easy to tell the noobs by this.

As mentioned before in Smith's memiors- Jamaicans are great at reading body language
    Really saw this in effect a few weeks ago. My wife and I were down with a first time couple and as we would walk the beach as a group, it was as if me and wife were invisible but higglers would swoop down on the new couple. The only thing we could figure is that they must have been looking around and taking in all the sights as seen for the first time. Things did settle down for them after a few days though.

User Info Menu

This past Christmas we moved from the cliffs to the beach. I would walk up and down the beach in the morning and afternoon with no prob. I walked as if I was there everyday. We actually got stopped when my husband was with me. We had no problems though, we were friendly and they would move on to another.

User Info Menu

I've learned that they observe the newby people, fresh off the airplane usually don't have sun tans so they are prone to be approached more often. So get to that beach and get tanned, enjoy.

User Info Menu

When it comes to looks. We have brought several people with us each trip. My wife and I just wear our everyday shorts and t-shirts that we wear at home. The first timers we bring along have new sandals, shorts, and shirts on. I think most people look and say those people have been here awhile while the new folks get the opposite treatment. Just my 2 cents.