Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: First time in July

User Info Menu

First time in July

Is it super slow or what? Not that there's anything wrong with that. Can't believe it's only been 6 month since the last reach. Feels like an eternity. My body is ready!!!!

User Info Menu

Re: First time in July

My first trip was in July and it was magical. It is slow but there are still things to do. Some places may be closed (for renovations etc) and it is HOT. I remember going to Time Square to one of the high end jewelers and "browsing" (couldn't afford anything) because they had A/C
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Some properties have a strong following year-round and a lot of their rooms are occupied. Others are a bit ghost town-ish; therefore, they take this time to make improvements. As a whole, the beach will be quieter and the vendors hungrier. The weather is not unbearable, in my opinion, but it's working its way up to the dog days of August. An afternoon rain will cool things off in time for sunset. I hope this helps!

User Info Menu

Confirmed... July is magical. Not too hot. Breezy like in May. Maybe my new favorite time to go.

User Info Menu

Glad to read you liked it! My first trips were in August, loved them. Soon come!

User Info Menu

My first trip was also in July (11 years ago). We took the I SURVIVED THE ROAD TO NEGRIL and I was thinking where I am going and why did I decide to take a girlfriend trip. We arrived and I have been going at least one to two times a year to date. I now travel alone and it is the best alone time a girl could experience. July was hot, it was a down pour of rain almost daily but it passed quickly!!!! I LOVE NEGRIL.

User Info Menu

Just back from a quick 4 day visit. It was our 1st time in July. Hot? yes but not as hot a home and it cools off a little bit at night. Beach very quiet compared the high season. Water? fantastic, warm, warm, warm. At night some of the hustlers got a little too aggressive for my taste and after 26 years I feel I am good with handling that situation.

On our final day I did get stung by "in water no see'ums" and a couple of others standing near us also got stung. We assume little jelly fish. For the three days prior no problems so some must have floated through where we were. It is something that doesn't happen in February. Tried all the remedies from pee to rum (pouring it on and drinking it, the rum). After an hour or two didn't feel it any more. Men, they love to get into your board shorts!

Bottom line, loved the visit and will always go at any opportunity but still prefer winter months to escape the cold.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
    Just back from a quick 4 day visit. It was our 1st time in July. Hot? yes but not as hot a home and it cools off a little bit at night. Beach very quiet compared the high season. Water? fantastic, warm, warm, warm. At night some of the hustlers got a little too aggressive for my taste and after 26 years I feel I am good with handling that situation.

On our final day I did get stung by "in water no see'ums" and a couple of others standing near us also got stung. We assume little jelly fish. For the three days prior no problems so some must have floated through where we were. It is something that doesn't happen in February. Tried all the remedies from pee to rum (pouring it on and drinking it, the rum). After an hour or two didn't feel it any more. Men, they love to get into your board shorts!

Bottom line, loved the visit and will always go at any opportunity but still prefer winter months to escape the cold.
    Some of those little jelly's are real *******s, man. I got stung by one of the tiny box jelly's on our last trip, right where no man wants to be stung. Can confirm, they love board shorts! You need white vinegar for most species, but for box jellyfish it actually makes it worse (can confirm). Now I wear a lycra "rashguard" shirt, very tight boxer briefs and cover all exposed skin with "Safe Sea" jellyfish lotion. Swam through crazy swarms of them while suited up like that, no more stings...

edit: after treating the sting, rinse with sea water. Under no circumstance use fresh water, that re-activates the stinging cells all over again.

User Info Menu

Didn't see any jellies when I was there. Must've lucked out.