Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Point Village vacationing in Negril -1st time questions

User Info Menu

Point Village vacationing in Negril -1st time questions

Hi Guys,
    We have been to Jamaica multiple times. Usually we do the all inclusive route or we stay in a hotel that offers food and drinks for sale. This reach, we are renting a town house at Point Village and bringing 4 newbies with us. So, the pressure is on!! Our thoughts are to eat breakfast and lunch at the condo and then dinner out, but you know how that changes.......
    We have hired Rocky for round trip airport transfers.
    We plan to stop at Megamart in Montego Bay for groceries, beer, liquor, etc and then purchase fresh fruits and seafood locally in Negril.
    Can we purchase beer and liquor at Megamart? Do they accept credit cards?
    Will my U.S. ATM card work at the local ATM's to get cash?
    Am I better off to bring US dollars and then exchange for J's or just withdraw cash as I need it from local ATM's?
    Is there a fruit/pattie/juice person, fisherman that is recommended close to Point Village or does Point Village allow vendors on site?
    What is the best grocery store to shop at in Negril?
    Where is the best place to buy Red Stripe in bulk? Thinking this group could easily go thru 4 or 5 cases while there.

User Info Menu

Re: Point Village vacationing in Negril -1st time questions

Wow! That's a lot of questions, but my wife and myself have been vacationing at The Point Village for 24 years now. In fact we bought a suite there 5 years ago and break up our Canadian winters quite nicely now. I think that I can answer any of your questions.

Our first stop after arriving at MBJ is a trip to Scotchie's for lunch and then on to Mega Mart for all of our first or second days supplies. Mega Mart is like a super Walmart or maybe Costco to some extent. Not bulk groceries like Costco but, furniture, bikes, TV's, cleaning supplies, and a huge selection of groceries. They do have beer and booze. You can pay with an America credit card and there is an ATM machine there. There is also an FX Trader (I think it's FX) there where you can exchange US for Ja. There is also two ATM machines within walking distance of The Point Village. A Scotia Bank ATM and NBC ATM are at the gas station just before you get to the Point Village turn off Beach Road. Petcom is the gas station name.

A veggie truck stops at The Point Village every week. I think it's on Mondays but not 100% sure. Just ask anyone at PV and they will let you know what day it is. That's about the only vendor allowed in. Fishermen can be flagged over from the beach, or it's just a short walk passed Hedo and Sandals to the Boardwalk area where you can buy fish. Go early though. Good breakfast and lunch at The Boardwalk BTW. Lobster omelette is to die for.

Best place to shop in Negril is the Hi Lo. Beer, booze and groceries. If they don't have what you want there is another store right beside that we call the "green grocery store". Hi Lo also has cases of beer for your guests and you can return your empties there as well.

Ask any other questions about The Point Village. I will be happy to help out.

User Info Menu

Re: Point Village vacationing in Negril -1st time questions

Thanks so much brownsd54 !! I really appreciate it!!
    Joleen