Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has thre been a recent shooting in Negril ?

User Info Menu

Has thre been a recent shooting in Negril ?

Have friends just returned from swept away . They were there from June 28 thru July 6. I made a point to ensure they spent time away . Visit the cliff side walk the beach etc. they did get to Catcha one evening for the 100 candle deal and enjoyed it. The hotel cautioned them to stay on property though saying there had been a shooting within the last few days. Anyone heAr if this was true ?
    Thank you

User Info Menu

Re: Has thre been a recent shooting in Negril ?

Theres been a few murders in Westmoreland as of late, but I personally haven't heard of one in Negril, at least not in that time frame. Of course, I could easily be mistaken

User Info Menu

The big AI's have a vested interest in keeping you on site. Even Hedo used to that back in the day. Tell you something happened and make it sound to scary to go out or if you do leave convince you to use "their" driver for $20 per person for a trip to the craft market.
    “Indecision may or may not be my problem.”

User Info Menu

Catcha isn't an AI, however, and wold seemingly have no vested interest in keeping someone dining there "on property" beyond the duration of their meal. The fact that Westmoreland has had a rash of crime recently isn';t exactly a well-kept secret

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker_420 View Post
    Catcha isn't an AI, however, and wold seemingly have no vested interest in keeping someone dining there "on property" beyond the duration of their meal. The fact that Westmoreland has had a rash of crime recently isn';t exactly a well-kept secret
    I read it as the hotel they were staying at cautioned them.

User Info Menu

We were there July 1 - 11, heard nothing about any shootings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noproblem View Post
    The big AI's have a vested interest in keeping you on site. Even Hedo used to that back in the day. Tell you something happened and make it sound to scary to go out or if you do leave convince you to use "their" driver for $20 per person for a trip to the craft market.
    I've seen this comment several times and I don't understand it.....if you pay in advance for meals and drinks, what is the vested interest that the AI have to keep guests on property?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    I've seen this comment several times and I don't understand it.....if you pay in advance for meals and drinks, what is the vested interest that the AI have to keep guests on property?
    They have a vested interest for a few reasons.

1. They charge double for a taxi.
    2. They charge more for excursions they organize.
    3. Guests find out that there's more to Jamaica/Negril than the pool, and the buffet and choose to stay at a different place else next time (That's what I did)
    4. Keeping guests safe. They have no control over what happens to guests who exit their property. If something bad happens, then it they still get the bad pub. (probably the least of their concern out of the things listed)

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    Your logic is correct, there is no real direct monetary vested interest in keeping their guests on the property. It comes down to more of a legal liability issue. If a guest gets hurt on or off the property, there is a strong chance they will be sued. To keep their insurance liability rates down, it is in their best interest in trying to "oversee" as much of their guests' stay as possible. This is why they recommend staying on the property.

This is also why they offer their own tour packages using their own drivers to attractions that they feel meet all their requirements.

When a guest leaves the property on their own, they are usually warned that if something occurs it is not their responsibility. But that doesnt prevent that guest from suing them if an incident happens off the property. Although the guest loses the lawsuit since they did leave the property on their own, the AI's have "deep pockets" and lawyers know this, which is why the AI's do what they do.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Ohhhhhhhhhh!!!!! That makes total sense...now