Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port Antonio Hotels - HELP!!!! All suggestions welcome!

User Info Menu

Port Antonio Hotels - HELP!!!! All suggestions welcome!

We are 2 Negrilaholic couples wanting to get out of the box, and go to Porto Antonio for 3 nights in early Feb 2016. Know nada about the area, so need some guidance. Bounced around Expedia and such and are seeing USD600+ per night. Not in our price range. Not even close!

We (M&G) have been there for a day trip from Oracabessa, so not knowledgeable of the area at all, just know we saw Frenchman's Cove (AWESOME!!!) and Boston Bay (?) and Blue Lagoon. Need to be near wherever Knutsford drops off and picks up as our bus back to Negril is at 6:30 am.
    We are not fussy people
    Clean; friendly staff (we tip good)
    Need a bar (not negotiable! LOL)
    Need a pool (semi negotiable for 3 nights)
    Need AC (negotiable maybe ....)
    Travelling Negril-PA by Knutsford - thought we would want something near where they drop you
    Seems taxi's are not plentiful (is that possible in Jamaica?) in PA?
    Renting a car is an option
    Want to be near Frenchman's Cove (in one thread somebody mentioned Frenchman's "Something-other-than-cove" - different place?)
    Room safe (semi negotiable)
    Beach front, or really really near (like <5 min walk?)
    Could we split a villa?
    Now, here's the killer - price point would be ideally less than USD120 per night!

Any and all suggestions welcome - hotels, what to do, what to see (Frenchman's Cove, I think, is a MUST???)

Need your guidance, Boardies ..

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Re: Port Antonio Hotels - HELP!!!! All suggestions welcome!

Try Norse point.

User Info Menu

tim bamboo is attainable for that price range. not sure if there is a pool . . . lot of guest house options . . . bus will stop and pick up at the bus park, pretty central location. local taxis easy to get. . . . your best option is to get a car and drive yourself. vi had some good options around winnifred beach. mrs. scott's place, winnifred breeze . . . and another one in dolphin bay for around 60 per night. there is also a place i can't think right now, vista something. i'll get back here and give you that name. that's a little ways before porty. . . .

User Info Menu

As jitterbug said, Tim Bamboo is within walking distance to town. No pool. AC rooms and I think are $60/night. Restaurant & bar. Breakfast may be included.

Winnifred Breeze in Fairy Hill is a great guesthouse, but not easily assessable to the main road. A car/driver is recommended. I’ve walked down to the road (less than 5 minutes), but not up as the road is steep. The spacious AC rooms are around $60/night. No bar.

Another Guesthouse I’m considering is Fairy Hill Palms in Fairy Hill Gardens. You are the only occupant in this two bedroom house. Walking distance to Winnifred Beach, Boston and Blue Lagoon. No AC.

You might also look into The Polish Princess Guesthouse. Another place I’m considering. I don’t have a lot of details to share about this place other than I met the owner and adore her and admire the way she runs the business. The reviews are good.

Being first time overnighters, my recommendation is Match Resort off Folly Road. It’s a 7 minute drive from down town Port Antonio, about less than 15 minutes from the San San and Boston areas. They have a restaurant & bar plus a pool. WIFI AC Rooms are also around $70/night. Friendly staff and excellent food. Easy, two minute walk from the hotel to the main road to catch a taxi.

Although not as plentiful as Negril, there is no lack of red plate drivers in Port Antonio. But a lot don’t drive at night and are usually concentrated down town. Once you leave the Knutsford bus, hail for one and secure him for your stay so you can call that specific driver when needed. The wait for one on the road may not be long, but the cars fill up with folks coming from down town.

Frenchman’s Cove beach is gorgeous, but expensive. $10 to get in, more for the lounger and lots more for the food and drinks. If you are planning to spend the entire day there it’s going to co$t you. But Winnifred is a challenge to get to due to the harsh road, but a favorite of visitors. Water shoes are a highly recommended due to the rocky sparse, rocky spots. See a rasta name I-Cliff for lounge chairs and cold red stripes.

User Info Menu

vi, polish princess is kind of in the bush. i've not been inside, but it's not pretty surroundings. although, it's easily accessed off the main road.
    i will be in porty in late november and am looking for a new place. fairy hill palms would be a consideration but its lacking security. if you get there before nov. pls share.
    also, there are plenty of options right in town . . .

User Info Menu

jitterbug, as a matter of fact, I will be there before November. I'll venture back to the Polish Princess to check it out for future consideration. I'll put
    Fairy Hill Palms on the list as well. What other options in town do you know of??

User Info Menu

vi, working today, will refer to my notes as soon as time allows. i'm at end of november, then negril . . .you?

User Info Menu

Jitterbug....Portland...tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    Jitterbug....Portland...tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll expect a full report when you get back young lady. Have a great time, and I hope drivah "a" isn't in your plans this time...

User Info Menu

Thanks TAH! and no, sir, he's not.