Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I walk around with my Iphone? NO WAY! Do NOT Make Yourself A Mark

User Info Menu

Re: Should I walk around with my Iphone? NO WAY! Do NOT Make Yourself A Mark

Gee yours looks better than mine and I still use it. It's and old Nokia I bought there but it does have a flashlight - sometimes useful. I just leave it with phone cards and a friend tops it up and then sends herself the credit. That way my SIM remains viable and she gets some extra time.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

The Digicel store Megamart in Mobay refused to sell me a sim card.
    She told my she can't sell to foreigners and then said a Jamaican ID is required.
    Not sure if this has changed but others have posted similar problems with getting a new sim at Megamart.
    After a few days without a phone, I got a loaner sim from a driver.
    Kinda a pain in the A$$ as I loaded a ton of info into it and couldn't use it right away...

Again, this may have changed since April...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kim in socal View Post
    The Digicel store Megamart in Mobay refused to sell me a sim card.
    She told my she can't sell to foreigners and then said a Jamaican ID is required.
    Not sure if this has changed but others have posted similar problems with getting a new sim at Megamart.
    After a few days without a phone, I got a loaner sim from a driver.
    Kinda a pain in the A$$ as I loaded a ton of info into it and couldn't use it right away...

Again, this may have changed since April...
    I had the same problem Kim, had to use my Jamaican friends ID. Maybe they just prejudice peeps from So Cal? If I recall someone sent an email to Digicel for confirmation and the response stand that the employee was wrong.

Administrator

User Info Menu

It is next to impossible to find a more reliable, rugged, unstoppable phone than those simple Nokia phones. And with a flashlight built in - a great simple way to make a call. Hard to beat that!

But for those coming to island, the "tabloid" type title of this thread is far from the truth. The Jamaicans I have shown this to are hurt and frustrated by this horrible sterotype. Hundreds, if not thousands of people who visit Jamaica weekly use their iPhone with no problems at all. None! Zippo! Ziltch! An iPhone makes you no more of a "mark" than being wearing shorts during the day.

Jamaicans who purchase iPhones want the box, the manual and all the "cool" factor that Apple has built into the iPhone. And with the latest release of the iPhone 6 - the latest version, it has becomes increasingly hard to use a "stolen" phone.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/17...l-for-that.htm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenhue...lt-kill-switc/

The "kill switch" built into the iPhone can make it a "paperweight" for the vast majority or people who would attempt to steal it anywhere in the world. If you believe the subject title, then dont use your iPhone in your city as well. So as not to mislead people, to quote Forbes, a somewhat respected news outlet:

"Smartphone crime rates have already dropped since Activation Lock debuted. Thieves, wary of robbing someone but ending up with a dud phone, stopped trying as often. In the first five months of 2014, smartphone robberies and thefts dropped significantly in San Francisco, New York City and London, a June study found."

Sure, there are ways around the kill switch and completely blanking the phone (I do know people in "low places"), but ALL the services that can make a stolen iPhone work in Jamaica will make sure that this will cost you nearly as much as as buying a brand new iPhone.

For one, they know you are hacking a stolen phone, and two, they want to make it worth their while to take the risk. And then you have the issue of Digicel or LIME being able to track legit IME numbers on the phone so they may not activate it even after you have spent all that money. No one I talked with today would buy an iPhone without the box and manual, etc that came with it. Even for ja$2000 or us$20 - they wouldnt want to take the risk.

I have been at restaurants where 17 out of 19 people there were on their smartphones. While I find this sad, almost everyone here carries at least one smartphone. The brand is nearly irrelevant. The one exception is a Blackberry 10 - those are like the "Holy Grail" of smartphones on the island.

You are much more of a "mark" by smoking the herb and/or drinking til 3am than you are by carrying an iPhone. Flashing a wad a cash it much worse than using an iPhone. Just use your head and and there will be no worries!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob,
    The Jamaicans that you showed this too who are sad are not the ones who you need to worry about. The Jamaicans who use an Iphone are not the ones you need to worry about. Hence why I mentioned the mark in the title. It is not tabloid in the least bit and is good info for those who are new to third world(developing country). Just because you asked a few peeps that you know what their perspective is, with your spin thrown on it, does not make it invaluable information. I have traveled a lot, with Antartica being the only continent left on my bucket list, and this applies across the board. And yes, there are places in the US where I do not whip out my phone. And your comment about peeps not buying a phone without box and what not is BS and laughable as I personally have sold a phone on my last two trips, based off of request from multiple people on previous trips. I'm bringing another one on my next trip as well. Need a new phone?

User Info Menu

Booger,

You seem to enjoy the dark side.

I don't walk with people who steal phones.

But what do I know after 40 years?

You're the expert

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind & Linston View Post
    Booger,

You seem to enjoy the dark side.

I don't walk with people who steal phones.

But what do I know after 40 years?

You're the expert

Cap
    Cap,
    I do not either. But I do notice the hustlers scoping out tourist at certain places that are frequented by tourist. I am far from the expert, just sharing some general knowledge as I said to those less traveled.

User Info Menu

All i can say is WOW....if using an IPhone makes you a mark, maybe we should continue to skip JA
    for other destinations.
    Formerly SmokeySteve...but i lost my password.

User Info Menu

Rob, are you telling me I could have "accidentally lost" my Blackberry z10 this past reach!!! Maybe pocketed some $$$?

The one exception is a Blackberry 10 - those are like the "Holy Grail" of smartphones on the island.

Holy C-R-A-P! I could be using a brand new Apple i6!!! I'm wicked pissed!

Booger, we walked around with an ipad mini 2 and a cannon rebel T3 day and night without any problems this past June.

Rob, can't believe you didn't clue me in on the VALUE of my Blackberry z10! I thought Iwas the only person in the world dumb enough to own one!!

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    Rob, are you telling me I could have "accidentally lost" my Blackberry z10 this past reach!!! Maybe pocketed some $$$?

The one exception is a Blackberry 10 - those are like the "Holy Grail" of smartphones on the island.

Holy C-R-A-P! I could be using a brand new Apple i6!!! I'm wicked pissed!

Booger, we walked around with an ipad mini 2 and a cannon rebel T3 day and night without any problems this past June.

Rob, can't believe you didn't clue me in on the VALUE of my Blackberry z10! I thought Iwas the only person in the world dumb enough to own one!!

Enjoy,

VVHT

If BBRY would have released the Z10 and all BB10 phones with 10.3.2 they would have sold a lot more. Still liking my Z10 here.