Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I walk around with my Iphone? NO WAY! Do NOT Make Yourself A Mark

User Info Menu

Should I walk around with my Iphone? NO WAY! Do NOT Make Yourself A Mark

I was swapping some furniture out today and came across my Jamaican phone and receipt. Since you can get a cheap phone with SIM and 500J of credit for less than $35, I figured I would post this public service announcement to educate those who might be interested. Unless of course prices have gone up in a couple of months.

Don't be a mark and whip out that brand new Iphone. Leave it in the safe and buy one of these archaic objects. This is my second one as I put my first one thru hell and back and the screen finally gave way. Here is a pic of the phone as well as my receipt for the phone and sim card that I picked up at Mega Mart in April.

The 500J phone credit is actually 625J once you tack on the lofty 25% sales tax. The battery charge last forever on this thing and the reception is about a 6/10. My driver Freddy is really the only person I struggle to understand, but I struggle to understand him in person as well. I have had yet to find a local who cannot navigate this thing in the dark, so ask if you need help adding credit.

Name:  IMG_1062.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  36.2 KB

User Info Menu

Re: Should I walk around with my Iphone? NO WAY! Do NOT Make Yourself A Mark

true.

User Info Menu

I prefer to be "phone-free" in Jamaica ~~
    "Yeah, I'm cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesn't mean I'm not a nice person."

—Jeremy Roenick

User Info Menu

Well said, Booger. I still use an old AT&T Blackberry (5+ years old) with a Digicel SIM. I find that in many cases this phone is still more advanced than the ones many Jamaicans use. This gives me some pause, when I take it out in public. You're probably better off buying a cheapo like the one Booger posted.

User Info Menu

I bring my old smartphones and tablets to JA when I visit and leave them behind with people who have been nice to me / helped me in some way.

I work for a cell phone carrier, so I always seem to have an old smartphone or two laying around.

I will admit though that I do carry my personal smartphone at times in Negril, but leave it in my pocket when walking anywhere, and only take it out when I reach my destination.

Cell phones can be like an addiction - it's hard to get away from the constant stream of information and just RELAX.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    I prefer to be "phone-free" in Jamaica ~~
    As do I. It stays in the bag until I need to call for a ride or call back home to check with Grandma to make sure Booger is alright.

User Info Menu

phone-free/TV free
    only tech ....I have is a 160 gig Ipod & docking station
    Can't live without ..tunes

User Info Menu

Just make sure you do a factory reset to clear all info off of your old phone before leaving it in Jamaica with friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by halfwaytree View Post
    Just make sure you do a factory reset to clear all info off of your old phone before leaving it in Jamaica with friends.
    Of course, and it's helpful if you call your carrier ahead of time and request it be unlocked as well.

User Info Menu

My JA cell looks just like that!