Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen this in Negril?

User Info Menu

Re: Has anyone seen this in Negril?

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    It's Fox News!!!! Come on peeps, consider your source. When you throw in Kingston, Jamaica as a location of the article it is a little misleading.

With that said, Negril and Jamaica as a whole should see an uptick in tourist due to the Sargassum issues elsewhere. I was all booked for Mexico for my next vacation, however with no end in sight I changed it up to Negril as I know it is safe as stated by Cap. I'm sure others will as well once they see the pics of endless Sargassum piling up on their favorite beaches.
    It's an Associated Press report.
    Peace, Todd & Cher

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    It's Fox News!!!! Come on peeps, consider your source. When you throw in Kingston, Jamaica as a location of the article it is a little misleading.
    You are correct ...........Fox News can not be trusted like NBC with Brian Williams who claimed to actually raked up seaweed on Negril beach in 2003, or CBS's Dan Rather who broke the news on GW Bush's being AWOL from his seaweed raking duties in 1972 or MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell fake reports on Mitt Romney being amazed at "seaweed" during the 2012 campaign ..................... get a grip booger

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oil View Post
    You are correct ...........Fox News can not be trusted like NBC with Brian Williams who claimed to actually raked up seaweed on Negril beach in 2003, or CBS's Dan Rather who broke the news on GW Bush's being AWOL from his seaweed raking duties in 1972 or MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell fake reports on Mitt Romney being amazed at "seaweed" during the 2012 campaign ..................... get a grip booger
    As with the Negril Rumor Mill, why let the facts get in the way of a good story.... (grin)
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    It's an Associated Press report.
    Here is the link you posted, which shows Fox News as you source. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/08...?intcmp=hplnws

But yes, it is a repost of an Associated Press report.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oil View Post
    Hahahhaaaaa

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

a heads-UP...!!!
    f.y.i.

check-out your local-affiliate of NPR (aka National Public Radio)
    today, they WILL be doing a segment on this thread-topic

here in WashingtonDC/USofA the broadcast is at 3pm

p.s... a few minutes ago,
    on the program-teaser,
    they mentioned that the seaweed
    draws/attracts/encourages sand-fleas

:-(

not THAT's a *fun* topic to discuss na tru
    [[[ i'm scratch-ing & itch-ing just thinking 'bout dem sand-fleas ......... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ]]]
    Last edited by smith744; 08-12-2015 at 12:46 PM.
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

I was in Mexico last week. Stayed half the time in Isla Mujeres where there was zero seaweed. Stayed the rest of the time in Tulum where the shoreline was filled with nasty brown sargassum. Hotels try to keep up with cleaning it but it is almost impossible. The locals were saying it has been going on since last December. A bartender also said tourism is way down too because many are cancelling their vacations due to the seaweed which is a huge drain on local economies. One expat I met informed me this is a once in every 50 year event so who knows the exact reason for the outbreak.

As others have said, I think beaches facing the east are being hit due to the currents while beaches facing west (Negril) are spared.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smith744 View Post
    a heads-UP...!!!
    f.y.i.

check-out your local-affiliate of NPR (aka National Public Radio)
    today, they WILL be doing a segment on this thread-topic

here in WashingtonDC/USofA the broadcast is at 3pm

p.s... a few minutes ago,
    on the program-teaser,
    they mentioned that the seaweed
    draws/attracts/encourages sand-fleas

:-(

not THAT's a *fun* topic to discuss na tru
    [[[ i'm scratch-ing & itch-ing just thinking 'bout dem sand-fleas ......... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ]]]
    Hmmmm, maybe the decaying smell of the seaweed is Nature's way of keeping us humans away from these attracted sand-fleas... (grin)
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    is Nature's way of keeping us humans away from these attracted sand-fleas... (grin)
    lol
    lol
    lol

Rob ~ as-usual,
    you're *probably* correct

lol
    lol
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

There were long stretches of beach undeveloped on my first trip in 1984. The seaweed and trash would build up to 12+" deep and you walked on the surface. Sand flea heaven and tourist hell.
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.