Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 Days until Calabash Bay for us!!!

User Info Menu

Talking 32 Days until Calabash Bay for us!!!

Just thirty two days until we visit Treasure Beach to celebrate my 50th Birthday. I've got myself and my wife, plus three other couples coming with us to stay in Doubloon. Half of the other couples have never been to Jamaica before, and I had to use a crow bar to convince the other half to agree to stay outside of an AI for the first time. My wife included. Now that it's getting closer, we are ALL getting super excited. Since this board hasn't had a real post since late May, I was hoping to kick start one to help me survive this last month before we go

I know September is an off time of year and also the height of hurricane season, but its when my 50th birthday happens, and that is the main reason I was able to persuade everyone that the bus ride from MBJ , and the trying out of something new and different would be worth it. We did a day trip to TB last December, and I just knew I had to come back for a real visit. I'm hoping this will be the first of many, and that the AI folks I normally vacation with will see the wisdom of branching out.

We splurged and are staying at Doubloon, which, from looking at the pictures, we are all very happy about. Mostly though, I'm looking forward to exploring the area, and a little bit of St. Bess also. In the past we have spent more than a few fun filled days at the Pelican Bar, and we definitely look forward to doing that again also.

We (me especially!) welcome any advice or tidbits of info that anyone is willing to give.

A couple of random questions that someone may know the answer to:

Can you get Tito's Vodka in Jamaica? Asking for a friend. Megamart? Black River?

Do y'all think a Megamart stop is a good idea? Or just let the Villa staff handle everything?

Where is Likkle Diamond?

Is it pretty easy to get case beer in TB? Redstripe, Redstripe Light, and Dragon Stout?

Also, the Vodka friend asked me to enquire about Miller Lite? Pretty sure I know the answer to this one, but she wanted me to ask anyway.

Thanks in advance everyone! As you can tell, I am really Jonesing for this trip.

Spiff

User Info Menu

Re: 32 Days until Calabash Bay for us!!!

it will be deader than a doornail in treasure beach during your stay. . . . dead.

User Info Menu

You'll love it. Go to Smurf's, rent scooters and explore. I highly recommend scootering up to Lovers Leap, it's a short trip well worth taking. We ended up driving up there a few times just to enjoy the ride...
    You could also check out Ft. Charles beach, just a bit north of Billy Bay, it's totally desolate and undeveloped but can be a bit creepy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JitterBug View Post
    it will be deader than a doornail in treasure beach during your stay. . . . dead.
    And this is 100% true.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JitterBug View Post
    Knew that going in... Thanks.

User Info Menu

TAH, we were already considering taking scooters to Lover's Leap. I think your recommendation may have sealed it. Have you ever stopped in Southfield to eat or get a Redstripe?

User Info Menu

Maybe? I really don't know where Southfield is.

edit: get scooters fairly early in your trip, you will want them. Just plan to keep them the whole time, and work out a special rate with Kevin at Smurfs. Trust me, you will not return them before you have to...

User Info Menu

Hi Spiff,

Sounds like you will have an awesome 50th!!!

My reflections on your post.

Treasure Beach is a great place and is managed by business owners that want tourists to be happy with their stay and to come back. Jason Henzell runs an organization called BREDS that is the development group for the area. He also runs a hotel called Jakes and a bar called Jack Sprat both very popular spots. I have never stayed there but it is often a place where something is going on.

I have stayed at Sunset Resort & Villa's run by an American guy and his Jamaican wife. His name is Kory South and his place serves good food especially fresh caught fish. Also if Deep Sea Fishing is of interest Kory can hook you up.

Although there are no 7 mile beaches in TB there are some very nice smaller ones that anybody local can point out. Be aware that there are some rip currents some places that can be dangerous so be careful in the sea.

I have never rented a scooter in Jamaica but the roads everywhere on the island are pretty rough and vehicles really rip, you are on the other side of the road so not a good place to be after a Red Stripe or Rum Punch.

Appleton Estate Tour is pretty interesting, Lover's Leap, Black River (the town & the river) are a short ride (2-3 hours), Negril isn't too far either if your friends need or want to see that???

All in all you should have a nice visit to Treasure Beach.

Have fun!!!

User Info Menu

Name:  IMG_0279.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  90.2 KB

User Info Menu

Looks amazing Spiff!!! Great way to usher in the next 50 years...hahaha. Please take and post lots of picks and your best memories, restaurants, etc. we are going to Katamah in Treasure a Beach in February for the first time so look forward to any info! Cheers to a great Earthday celebration and here's to 50 more! ������
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”
    ― Bob Marley