Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why do we have to pa in u.s money

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Re: Why do we have to pa in u.s money

The US$ is the most stable currency and most tourist business in Jamaica follow this trend. With our cdn dollar fluctuating the way it does we would have to change the rate daily.
    JAYS HIDEAWAY web site is shown in US$ ( as are all the other resorts) but we will welcome cdn. Dollars.

User Info Menu

J Rob, in your world Americans could exchange to Canadian and pay 25% less ??? Wish it were true man. I don't think I can pass Rooms without looking at your balcony. Stay where you prefer man, there ain't no magic exchange rates. The Banks have it covered.

User Info Menu

I think JRob's point is valid. It costs a fee to convert currency. Someone who has already paid a fee to convert to JA will pay another fee to convert that JA to U.S.. That being the case it makes sense to have some US currency to use at those locations that insist on charging in US dollars.

User Info Menu

On a side note --- I spent a week with my Canadian family in Punta Cana and they showed me their Canadian money....it's plastic which is a really neat idea!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    On a side note --- I spent a week with my Canadian family in Punta Cana and they showed me their Canadian money....it's plastic which is a really neat idea!
    Hahaha.... it is cool but it doesn't do so well in the dryer - ask me how I know!
    Don't waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiB View Post
    Hahaha.... it is cool but it doesn't do so well in the dryer - ask me how I know!
    I thought the plastic made it "indestructible" in the washer and dryer??

User Info Menu

The fact that the currency of choice in JA is the mighty US buck has been a pet peeve of mine for many years. I don't go to the bars/restaurants that charge in US $$.
    I usually go to Negril for 6 weeks, the difference in the exchange rates over 45 days really, really adds up (virtually all accomm. is charged in US).
    It cost me $132CDN for $100US last week.
    Because of this, it pains me to say, for the 1st time in 20-odd years, we are giving Negril a pass in lieu of a destination that charges in Euros.
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

The easiest way to book Fun Holiday in Canadian Dollars is to use one of the various websites its on for booking. That way you don't have to worry about American vs Canadian. We stay at the NBCC as we prefer rooms with a kitchenette but we are getting killed by the exchange rate this year. If the dollar is this bad in the future I think we will be looking at other alternatives. Its pretty expensive the way this is.
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

I agree. I think there may be fewer Canadians in Negril this year. On principle, I avoid places that charge USD (when not in the U.S.). Many restaurants in Negril are now pricing in USD only and don't take JMD on par (1/100). Of course you can use JMD but at whatever rate of exchange (based on USD) they give you. If I wanted to pay in USD, it's a lot closer to go to the states!

I purchased the new livingsocial deal for Treehouse. https://www.livingsocial.com/escapes...le-beach-perks
    Paying in USD negates a lot of the savings, but still better than regular prices elsewhere and the inclusions of a hearty breakfast and transfers is a good value, especially as it can be used for many high season dates.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna3 View Post
    The fact that the currency of choice in JA is the mighty US buck has been a pet peeve of mine for many years. I don't go to the bars/restaurants that charge in US $$.
    I usually go to Negril for 6 weeks, the difference in the exchange rates over 45 days really, really adds up (virtually all accomm. is charged in US).
    It cost me $132CDN for $100US last week.
    Because of this, it pains me to say, for the 1st time in 20-odd years, we are giving Negril a pass in lieu of a destination that charges in Euros.
    Better move fast Kahuna the CDN $ has dropped vs Euro€ about 15 cents since April!