Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Working hard for change...we can help!

User Info Menu

Re: Working hard for change...we can help!

Tah, meaning it would not go over well?

Thanks
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMoose View Post
    If the harassment gets too bad for your comfort, would a "nah badda mi" or "nah go mas" help or deteriorate the situation?

~Moose
    The "nah badda mi" might work after they got up off the ground from laughing at it coming from CosmicMoose. The "nah go mas" is not something that a tourist should say to a Jamaican anyways. "mas" is "master" and it is usually used by a Jamaican talking to his boss or to a slave owner. Where I live, it would usually be "nah go bossy" if a Jamaican were telling me he wouldn't go somewhere.

"bredda" is a better word. Referring to someone as "brother" or I sometimes use "king" as it shows respect at the same time.

Patois is different all over Jamaica but if you don't know for sure what you are saying it is better to just use English (which they all understand) or not say anything at all and just use hand gestures.

My opinion only.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Appreciate the info Accompong, I was told that nah go mas was equivalent to chill out.

Thanks
    ~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Appreciate the info Accompong, I was told that nah go mas was equivalent to chill out.

Thanks
    ~Moose
    "mas" is one of those words that has several meanings. Sometimes with ganja is what a large amount is like "mass" or "massive". And, yes, it is sometimes referring to "more" like in your example. Kind of like in my youth we called a cigarette a "fag" and you know how that is negatively used now.

A funny little story. When I was in Waterhouse a few years back with Marshall, a yout and Marshall were talking Patois very quickly and I thought he called the guy a "chump". I was instantly appalled and frightened as we were in a very dangerous area with some real gunman types around. When I got Marshall off to the side, I asked him why he called him a "chump". He laughed an said he called him a "champ". Buju's chune "Walk like a Champion" was very popular at that time and Jamaicans tend to use flattering terms for people (like Lion, Champ, King etc.) when they don't know them well just to be on the safe side.

I think your "nah go mas" is probably good in your context described but, again, it is best to not use any Patois that you don't know the exact meaning of for safety purposes. That is why even though I can chat some Patois, I use English around people I don't really know well. It has served me well living in several locations around the island where a small misunderstanding could cause you to be in big trouble.

Just my opinion. Others might not necessarily agree.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

If the harassment gets too bad for your comfort, would a "nah badda mi" or "nah go mas" help or deteriorate the situation?

~Moose
    Moose...if you get into a situation that has escalated and you no longer feel comfortable...approach someone that is working in the area ie. a bar owner, bartender, any of the other vendors on the beach or west end, security, etc. None of these people want this kind of harassment to happen and will always be glad to help out.

There's always a bad apple in the bunch and the rest of us working in the tourism industry don't want anyone visiting to be fearful...don't ever feel afraid/embarrassed to have someone that lives here stop the bad scenario for you. No one expects to be compensated for this either...everyone is just happy to help out/make sure you're comfortable.

This is a small town...we virtually all know (of) each other here and who are the troublemakers. So, there is no need for fake patois...just be yourself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    So, there is no need for fake patois...just be yourself.
    Unless you are fluent in patios don't try to get in to a discussion with a higgler. If you are fluent you most likely.
    don't need the discussion.

There is no way to pretend.

Just do as Bnewb suggested.

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions everyone... Was thinking along the lines of when in Mexico the locals were pleased if you attempted to talk with them in Spanish. Always brought a smile on their faces.

~ Moose
    Mi Irie

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions everyone... Was thinking along the lines of when in Mexico the locals were pleased if you attempted to talk with them in Spanish. Always brought a smile on their faces.

~ Moose
    No problem with trying to speak patios in a social setting and the Jamaicans enjoy your attempts all in good fun.

But in the beach situation trying to ward off an aggressive higgler the "respect" thing isn't going to help

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

Administrator

User Info Menu

Patois is basically English with a few non-English words throw in for good measure. It is not like Spanish or any other "official language'. It can change from year to year and area to area.

Listen to Bnewb...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Go in august. I didn't see any tourists, and for that reason, no higglers either. Was kind of boring though.

Anyway, in 12+ trips. My wife and I have had 2 really negative experiences. I will say 2 times in 90 plus days I have spent in negril.

One time some dude started yelling at me for not buying his aloe our very first trip. You know what I did? I started yelling back at him.

The other time, this guy started screaming at my brother on providence road for not giving him a cigarette. That issue was nipped in the bud almost instantly by a local.

But I grew up and have lived in and around Philly or north Miami my whole life. I deal rude people every single day.

So for me, dealing with an ass hole 2 times in 90 days is a ratio I can live with. Lord knows I deal with more annoying people almost daily on real life and on the Internet.

So I guess it's about perspective for me.