Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Timer + Honeymoon

User Info Menu

First Timer + Honeymoon

Hello,

I've browsed your board and I'm sure you've answered plenty of these questions along the way, but I figured I'd ask you all once more.

This will be my first trip to JA - I've been to CR, DR, USVI, BVI, MX, etc... But never Jamaica. I have been researching honeymoon destinations for my fiancé and I and I am really drawn to JA - Negril particularly. It took a while for my fiancé to stop comparing the JA resorts to the Americanized 5 star mega resort in MX, but she is on board now.

What suggestions would you all have for us? I'm quite fond of Couples Negril and she also mentioned interested in their Ochos Rios location(but I'm pushing Negril). Are these resorts going to offer what honeymooners are looking for?

Also - the AI approach is convenient, but can be stifling. Where/what are some must see/must do activities on the island.

Will we have a hard time with beach vendors? I see varying reports.

Is orange hill a bad idea for an American to take a tour of? I would like to enjoy some ganja while we visit and I've read high(er) quality flowers can be had in the area.

What are fair prices when we are out and about...? For a beer, a lunch, etc

We will be going for a week in March/April '16

Thank you

User Info Menu

Re: First Timer + Honeymoon

BigZ65, welcome to the board. I'm sure you and your fiance will get plenty of good advice on this board.

I have stayed at both Couples Negril, Couples Swept Away and Couples Tower Isle Ocho Rios. All three are wonderful Resorts, each has something special to offer. In my humble opinion for your Honeymoon Couples Negril on Bloody Bay would be my choice. It is located on Bloody Bay which is a some what more subdued than Long Bay where Couples Swept Away is located. You can still get off campus and it is a short taxi ride to the hot spots in Negril if you are inclinded.

Couples Swept Away on Long Bay in Negril is a much larger Resort than Couples Negril. The beach is wonderful, but the size of the property might be less inviting for a Honeymoon...

Couples Tower Isle in Ocho Rios was a great vacation spot. It afforded us the opportunity to tour the Blue Mountains and the north coast of Jamaica. The beach is tiny compared to Bloody Bay or Long Bay.

First time to Negril, I would recommend Couples Negril on Bloody Bay for your Honeymoon. You are still close enough to the action if you want to get out and about.

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

We did part of our honeymoon in a beach front suite at tree house. Not all inclusive, but it's like having our own apartment on the sand.

We loved it.

Other part of our honeymoon was at Norse point in port Antonio. Was awesome.

User Info Menu

Thank you, VVHT & Flip

User Info Menu

I have been to all the Couples resorts on the island and each has it's own special vibe to it. I honeymooned at Tower Isle back in 2001. If I had to do it again after 22 trips to Negril / JA I would say skip Couples and go to the Rock House on the cliffs. I know it's not an A/I but the vibes there are perfect for a romantic trip.
    “Indecision may or may not be my problem.”

User Info Menu

Hello and congratulations! I agree with op Bloody bay has much less haggle beach traffic while being a stunning beach. However, check into the huge undergoing of demolition/construction going on next door where Lido used to be. I have not stayed at but have been to Azul Sensatori it is stunning and high end. May I suggest a split of starting at the beach and then relaxing on the west end/cliffs ocean side villas at Rock House or Catcha falling star. Catcha is where Ivans is and you could do the 100 candle romantic dinner. I always do a beach/cliffs split and it lets you enjoy all of Negril. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Thank you for the insight, everyone. The information is much appreciated. I was drawn to the cliffs, but she is wanting a beach resort - sounds like a good excuse to go back!

Liz - I had a question about Sensatori... It may be ridiculous, but here goes! I looked the property up on tripadvisor and literally every review was from the UK. One of the reviews mentioned they were building a wing for Americans. I got a good laugh out of it, but then couldn't find any rates online. Am I crazy? The property looks lovely.

Still feel great about Couples Negril for a first trip. Hopefully the construction next door isn't terrible, if we go that route.

Thanks again.

Z

User Info Menu

I really can't say anything about the resorts in Negril per se, but I've been to Beaches in Turks & Caicos, which has the same parent company as Sandals, and the stay was amazing. Free SCUBA, meals were top notch, and they have a culinary concierge if anyone needs specialized meals due to allergies or medically necessary diets. You basically go see the concierge in the morning and order your lunch and dinner, advise them when you would like your reservation and they will have everything all set for you. Total professionals. Would highly recommend Sandals (no kids) or Beaches (with or without kids) if anyone in the group has dietary restrictions.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Moose,

Thank you. The Sandals location in Negril is amazing - no doubt. Unfortunately, I received a quote for over $7,000USD for a six night stay + airfare. With all the other costs from the wedding I'm absorbing and doing the honeymoon on my own, that isn't possible for me! Couples is significantly less(almost half the price) and I'm reading mostly positive reviews. The place seems to have some soul to it, which is great!

Waiting to hear back from the TA on Sensatori. Then I think I'll decide between the two... Can't wait to get down there!

Z

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
    Moose,

Thank you. The Sandals location in Negril is amazing - no doubt. Unfortunately, I received a quote for over $7,000USD for a six night stay + airfare. With all the other costs from the wedding I'm absorbing and doing the honeymoon on my own, that isn't possible for me! Couples is significantly less(almost half the price) and I'm reading mostly positive reviews. The place seems to have some soul to it, which is great!

Waiting to hear back from the TA on Sensatori. Then I think I'll decide between the two... Can't wait to get down there!

Z

If you're ballin on a budget, check out grand pineapple. Owned by sandals I believe, but priced at probably 2-300 a night. AI experience, but on a stretch of beach with a ton to do.