Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Kingston

User Info Menu

Trip to Kingston

Going to be in Negril in February for a week then a week Port Antonio. Thinking of a day trip to Kingston looking for information, pro's and con's. Is it safe . Your thoughts?
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Re: Trip to Kingston

Where are you staying in Port Antonio?
    We're doing the same trip but not for a couple years

User Info Menu

We are staying at Great Huts

User Info Menu

We did a day trip day trip to Kingston last February. It was a long day, leaving Negril about 6am and returning about 8pm. It was worth it. Never felt threatened or unsafe, but then again we didn't go running through Tivoli Gardens either. We went to Trenchtown, the National Stadium and out to Port Royal. The highlight of the trip was the Bob Marley House on Hope Road. If you are a fan at all it is a must. Wouldn't do it every trip, but I'm damned glad we did it.

User Info Menu

It certainly wont be as long of a trip from PA as it was from negril from M&M. I would hazard a guess, that if you left for Kingston from the huts by 7am , you'd be there by 10am latest. Probably could get there by 9-930 with no traffic or stops.

So plan for 2-3 hours each way.

User Info Menu

What about safety

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by takinitslow View Post
    What about safety
    No idea. Never been, but I asked a local about the trip time when I was in PA.

User Info Menu

We did it ..with De Music Buzz (out of Negril)
    By far one of the best times ..We've had in Ja.
    Safety ...Not an issue
    Check them out ...You can't go wrong -long day -yes

User Info Menu

A day trip to Kingston can be wonderfully educational...it's a side of Jamaica that most visitors never see. We've taken friends that have loved it and some that were very intimidated by a large city.

You can visit Devon House (the grounds are absolutely beautiful), Bob Marley Museum and Port Royal (have lunch at Gloria's)...this would all make for a nice trip there. Note. De Music Buzz is no longer running tours.

As far as safety...we're there almost every month for a couple of days at a time. I would say that it's like any large city...you need to stay out of areas that are not recommended...Jamaicans are also very good at stopping you from wandering around areas you shouldn't.

Have fun!

User Info Menu

Kingston is cool and has kinda a big city feel to it.....New Kingston is really nice......Port Royal is out past the Kingston Airport

most people don't know it......but you can take a route taxi to the Sav Bus Park and then get a direct Bus/Van to Kingston for $900J's one way....$500J's for kids
    leaves Sav bus park around 11AM and dem make one stop at a gas station half way to Kingston.......takes about 4 1/2 hours......
    only meant for the well traveled traveler......most would like the comfort of the Knutsford Express Bus instead but dat around $3,000J's one way

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20