Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Have you stayed at the Half Moon Beach

User Info Menu

Have you stayed at the Half Moon Beach

So Cas found this really cool looking place called Half Moon Beach in near Green Island about half way to Negril from MoBay.
    Has anyone stayed here?
    They have a few small cabins near the beach and it looks like a good place to start our 2nd Jamaica adventure come Feb. I have only found a few reviews on TA regarding this place and some date back awhile. I see that this is also a day trip for the beach and snorkeling out of Negril for some. They also have an island bar called Calico Jacks that catamaran(s) stop at occasionally(?).
    They claim good snorkeling as well. Thoughts? Experiences?

User Info Menu

Re: Have you stayed at the Half Moon Beach

I'm planning on stopping up for 1/2 day or so during my trip in November.
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

We have never stayed the night but we have visited and it was private, quiet and a really beautiful spot. Andrew(the owner) and his wife and girls were awesome hosts and farmer(the mechanic/handyman lol) was great to sit and have a few drinks and share some stories with. Highly recommend it!

User Info Menu

We have visited Half Moon Beach a few times on day trips and it's a great place to spend the afternoon. Good food, good snorkeling and the boat ride to Calico Jack's is very cool. We took a walk around the property last trip to check out the cabins. They appear to be very rustic, but nicely secluded. I'm not sure that any of them have A/C. A couple have water views, but most are kinda tucked into the woods.

The other thing to consider when staying at Half Moon is that it is not really within walking distance of anything. You will need a taxi to go anywhere off the property.

User Info Menu

you'd have to come to negril by taxi to do any socializing . . . isolated . . . as a single traveller, too far away from "things" . . . would not book more than couple of nights and then see how you feel . . . rustic . . .

User Info Menu

The wife and I had made a couple of day trips to Half Moon beach during previous trips so we decided one year to kick-off our next trip by staying there overnight. I thought it would be a cool "decompression" stop on the way to Negril. So the following trip we headed straight to Half Moon Beach after landing in Mobay.

It was a great place to start getting your vacation vibe going. When we arrived the cabin was ready for us and so was the beach. We dropped our luggage off grabbed the snorkel gear and hit the beach. Vacation started.

The food at the restaurant was really good and the drinks were pretty good too. We had dinner there and got to talk to Andrew for a little while. I agree with mmoffat1980; Andrew and his family are wonderful people. After having dinner and enjoying a couple of cocktails, we headed to our cabin for a couple of Red Stripe that we had icing in the cooler. It was quiet and peaceful.

The cabins were rustic but also very clean. We had a pleasant night's sleep after a long day of travel. We woke up the next morning and took a swim at the beach (which we had totally to ourselves). After a while the restaurant opened up. I got an omelette and a cup of coffee and brought that to down to the beach and enjoyed a great breakfast. Since our room in the cliffs wouldn't be ready until 3:00pm we chilled at the beach all day and by the time our ride arrived I was in complete vacation mode.

Although it is remote, and the night life consists of having a few drinks with fellow travellers at the properties bar, Half Moon is a really cool place. I'd recommend it if you're looking for peace and quiet, off the beaten path for a couple of nights. This Feb. trip we're going to end our trip there.

User Info Menu

I have messaged them in the past however have never yet received a response about the cabins.
    I have spent many a day there enjoying the beach but have not had the opportunity to drop by since the Island bar has been established.