Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frontier now has direct flights from PHL

User Info Menu

Frontier now has direct flights from PHL

Frontier airlines now has direct flights from PHL to MBJ.

This should create some competition with American\US Air which was the only airline that flew this route until now.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

Re: Frontier now has direct flights from PHL

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin, PA View Post
    Frontier airlines now has direct flights from PHL to MBJ.

This should create some competition with American\US Air which was the only airline that flew this route until now.
    Woot, woot, anything to help lower airfare prices!
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Carry-on bag fees are crazy high, but the ticket price is EXCELLENT!!! I hope they open more travel days.

User Info Menu

I found ticket prices in the sub $300 range, for December. Too bad their schedule doesn't go into 2016, yet. I'm still working on a February trip.

As a US Air/AA frequent flyer, I certainly hope this competition drives down prices. I remember when Southwest setup a Philly hub a couple years ago. I had hoped for the same, but SW quickly exited the market citing Philadelphia's unfriendly business rules and taxes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin, PA View Post
    ... American\US Air which was the only airline that flew this route until now.
    This is the one and only reason why I carry a AA frequent flyer credit card. Everything I purchase goes through that card, and at the end of the year I usually have enough miles for at least 1 ticket to mbj.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    This is the one and only reason why I carry a AA frequent flyer credit card. Everything I purchase goes through that card, and at the end of the year I usually have enough miles for at least 1 ticket to mbj.
    Mike, do you think it is worth the $95 yearly fee?

~Moose

User Info Menu

I bought tix out of Philly about 6 weeks ago for late October and at that time Frontier was marginally cheaper than AA. We paid $410 with AA and I think Frontier was about $395.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMoose View Post
    Mike, do you think it is worth the $95 yearly fee?

~Moose
    Personally, I think so. There are some perks that easily pay for the $95 annual fee. Free checked bags on domestic flights, $100 discount on a ticket if you spend a certain amount in a year, and you get a certain amount of your spent miles back at the end of the year (not sure how much, as this is a new benefit). Plus, you get 40,000 miles just for signing up. That could be 2 tickets to MBJ, right there.

The benefits of the old US Airways MasterCard were slight better (before they switched to AA) and the annual fee was lower ($85). I miss getting the free pass to the Us Airways Club, and the $99 Companion Certificate. Although it was only good on domestic flights, the Companion Certificate would get me a $99 ticket to LAX for my wife, while I paid full price and racked up some miles for our next trip to MBJ!

Also, the AA MasterCard now has no foreign transaction fees. I almost never use a CC in Jamaica, but it's nice to have as a backup.

User Info Menu

I just took another look at the Frontier fares and fees. Yes, they charge $30 for carry-ons, but their checked luggage fee is in-line with AA ($25 for international flights). Plus they allow 1 free "personal item" such as a backpack or anything that can fit under the seat. With AA upping their air fares for PHL-MBJ to $790 for the entirety of the winter season, Frontier looks like it will be an attractive option. I'm just waiting for them post their fares for 2016. Seems odd that their price calendar only goes through December.

User Info Menu

Just a heads-up... found out that although the Frontier website does not show any flights for 2016, Frontier flights can actually be booked through the Apple Vacations website through March 2016 (at least):

http://www.applevacations.com/
    (Select "Flight Only")

The downside is that their prices are only marginally better than American. PHL-MBJ is still close to the $600 point. Might be worth to keep an eye out to see if they ever adjust the prices to the were there are for the fall.