Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: First Timers to Negril (With A Baby 20-months)

User Info Menu

Re: First Timers to Negril (With A Baby 20-months)

Thanks for the heads up on the milk! We're pretty crunchy when it comes to food. So he doesn't drink the pasteurized cow's milk that most people drink in America. We normally give him almond milk. If they have raw cow's milk in Ja, we'll give him that. Does anybody know what the difference in the milk is?

That's a Baltic amber necklace. It is supposed to help with pain from teething ... and it looks pretty cool too!

User Info Menu

We do have a similar cow's milk as the US/Canada but most tend to buy the slightly different tasting cow's milk. This is found on the shelves (not yet refrigerated) as it's more sustainable in the heat of the Caribbean. This milk is not refrigerated until after opening. It's available in skim, 1% and whole.

Dan...you can get almond and soy milk at most larger grocery stores in Jamaica.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 10-07-2015 at 08:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info on the milk!

User Info Menu

Yeah, I enjoy regular milk in my coffee (when I don't use rum cream), and usually pick-up the "cows milk" in the box that can be found on the shelf at any small market. This milk is very similar to the Parmalat milk that we have back home. When at a restaurant, they usually give you a little carafe of milk that may very well be goat's milk. This always tastes good to me, as well.

eta:
    Last edited by Mike_D; 10-07-2015 at 08:38 AM.

User Info Menu

I saw the "UHT Processed" label at the bottom left corner of your image and was curious. A quick search revealed that UHT stands for Ultra High Temp. and that this milk (if unopened) has a shelf life of 6 to 9 months with no refrigeration. Also, the heating process can change the smell and taste of the milk. Very Interesting!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-...ure_processing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    When at a restaurant, they usually give you a little carafe of milk that may very well be goat's milk. This always tastes good to me, as well.
    Mike...I'm not sure if you're saying they serve goat's milk where you live or you mean they may serve it in Jamaica...but if you think they may be serving it here...they do not.
    Anything other than using the meat from the goat is still relatively new (slowly being practised) to Jamaicans.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 10-07-2015 at 08:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Great pics. Awesome that he's not freaking out being submerged so young...thumbs up!

User Info Menu

I took my 10 month old to Jamaica and she loved it...especially the beach and ocean!!! I took her to a few restaurants and all had high chairs (if that is a concern for you), but I also had a foldable booster seat just in case. I don't remember many having a children's menu but she ate off of my plate most of the time. She wasn't walking without holding on to something, so of course I didn't let her roam around to much, but there were about 5 or 6 other children in the area and they ran freely around with no problem, but I do have to agree with the others about the horses.
    http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Oh,
    & watch the jerk sauce..I'll always remember the look on my sons face (@3 years of age )
    after dipping his fingers and tasting the sauce @ Bourbon
    needless to say the hard dough & milk ..hit the table ..real quick

User Info Menu

Haha! I can't wait for the jerk sauce but we'll be careful with the little guy. He does already like some spicy foods though. So as long as the jerk is not too spicy, he might just like it.