Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Timers to Negril (With A Baby 20-months)

User Info Menu

First Timers to Negril (With A Baby 20-months)

We've just booked our first trip to Negril for December of this year and we are staying at Country Country. Your forum has been quite informative and has helped us to make the decision to visit Negril and stay at Country Country with our child. We will be in Negril with our baby who has flown many times and travelled to Mexico with us on vacation. So we are not concerned with general travel info for babies, but we are interested in general information regarding babies in Negril such as: excursions, restaurants and general spots to hang out.

We live near the beach in the States so our little one loves the beach and has no problem spending all day eating sand and playing in the water. Would there be any concern for us to let him "roam free" (of course in our sight) on the beach? The beaches look pretty busy according to the photos that we have seen. Where we travel to in MX the beaches are pretty private with little to no traffic. It appears that Negril might be a little different.

Please share your experiences with bringing young children to Negril.

Thanks in advance for any info! And if you're going to be in Negril the 9th-15th of December, we hope to see you there!

User Info Menu

Re: First Timers to Negril (With A Baby 20-months)

Just better keep your eyes wide open for horses running on the beach. It happens a lot.

User Info Menu

We have traveled to Negril with both of our grandchildren. First time when each was about 18 months old. They are now 9 and 12 and we go every year. The beaches can be very busy. My personal opinion is that a toddler less than 2 should not be roaming free, even if within your eyesight. It only takes a few seconds of distraction for a tragedy to occur. Just my opinion.

User Info Menu

My son was just about 2 when he started going. My first thought was the horses as well. THey do come up fast and they are not careful. But overall it is not a good idea to let him roam on the area of the beach close to the sea. However there are loads of places that you will find - on and off the sand - that will work to let him roam and also be able to relax a bit yourselves. Don't worry, it will work out. You could also consider asking the hotel if they know of someone who might want to act as nanny here and there to give you a break.
    [http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Thank you for the responses and thanks for sharing your experiences! Our son has actually travelled a lot already for his young age. He's been to six states and Jamaica will be his third country. He's an international travelling baby! We'll be sure to be mindful of the horses and try not to let him run off too far.

User Info Menu

Hi Dan,

Our son was around this age when we brought him down with us. We had no problems at all. The locals were so wonderful with helping to keeping an eye out and by the end of the trip I'm pretty sure he had more friends on the beach than we did. I would recommend private messaging Bnewb here on the board as she will have some wonderful and trusted information on a possible sitter for an evening or two if you are interested. She lead us to a lady named Beverly who still warms my heart when I think of her. Have a wonderful time.

User Info Menu

Wow! Thanks for the post! I'm sure our little guy will make lots of friends too.

User Info Menu

Children are treated "like gold " - in Ja. -& yes, the locals will enbrace him & keep a close eye on him..my son was dancing on the bar @ 2 years of age
    if you venture to the cliffs -(which btw - you should )...make sure you keep a very close eye on him
    On da beach he'll have lotsa room to roam
    No worries -Lucky little guy

User Info Menu

Cool comment! I'm even more excited about our trip now! He is indeed a lucky little guy!

User Info Menu

My twin nephews who are now 8 have gone every year since they were 4 months old. You will find the locals to be wonderful with children. Last year, a jet ski driver would take breaks and come get them and take them to the property next door for ice cream, Gem (the fruit lady) would cut up fruit for them and teach them about the different fruits, the patty man always stops to chat with them, last year they helped Joey (carver at NBCC)...I could go on and on about their experiences.

My other nephew who is now 24 started going when he was 8. He definitely roamed and whenever he was out of eyesight or walked further away, there was always somebody reporting about his whereabouts.

For restaurants and general places to hang out: my nephews went where we went and there were no issues. We did keep a closer eye on them when going to the cliff side.
    For excursions: Black River will be a hit and YS Falls, also the glass bottom boats.

Enjoy!!!