Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Current route taxi fares

User Info Menu

Current route taxi fares

Can someone please tell me the current route taxi fares? How much from beach road to round about. And how much from round about to cliffs. I know that a lot of you have a negative feeling toward tourist expecting to use the local route taxis. I am mostly asking out of curiosity because I know the fare has changed in the past few years. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Re: Current route taxi fares

As I am a guest on the island and while not flush with cash I do have some extra and do not expect to ride at the same price as the Locals. Just my 2 cents, I generally double the local fare as an offer for number of riders.

When we stay have stayed at Point Village I offered $5 bucks to the roundabout and $10 to the cliffs. Last I remember it was $1.20 or $1.50 from Beach road to roundabout, and roundabout to cliffs. But then again a few bucks extra from my pocket wont make a big deal to me so I gladly pay. Interested to hear what others have to say though.
    “Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live!” - Bob Marley

User Info Menu

Taxi fares in Negril are a bargain. I don't mind taking route taxis as long as it's not morning or afternoon rush hour when locals and students need the seats. Other time, drivers are happy to carry you for the 'local legal rate'. I usually charter because it's just so cheap. For instance, Margaritaville on Norman Manley to Seastar Inn deep west is about 500 dollars for two people during the day when negotiated. That ride here at home would cost 2000 dollars, maybe more. If we take route cabs we always tip the equivalent of one extra fare. You certainly don't have to do that though. Operate as you see fit and as you can afford.

User Info Menu

130j per segment. At busy holiday times it may be less easy to get a route taxi from town center because the police prevent the Cambio parking lot being used as a taxi park. For certain you can ride to the bus park (transportation center) and get your next ride from there. The drivers are always very helpful calling out or guiding you to the right cars for your destination.

User Info Menu

We don't expect to pay local route taxi fares. We typically offer, for the two of us, $5 for travel within the beach area OR West End and $10 for travel between the beach and the West End. Rarely have we been turned down. It may cost you more if it's late and not many other taxi's around.

Although taxi's in the states can cost a lot more and Negril taxi's are much cheaper, I'm finding that with Uber or Lift the rates are comparable to what I've been offering above in Negril.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

If it's a route taxi, why pay a different rate? It's like getting on a bus and offering more than the fare. Of course if you want the whole taxi to yourselves, that's a different story, it's no longer a route taxi at that point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
    If it's a route taxi, why pay a different rate? It's like getting on a bus and offering more than the fare. Of course if you want the whole taxi to yourselves, that's a different story, it's no longer a route taxi at that point.
    I don't want to have to jump taxi's between routes when traveling between beach and west end and I often have stops that route taxi won't always wait at. I'm technically charting a taxi not taking a route taxi. I rarely negotiate rates anymore. I have a couple of drivers that will come get us and take us wherever we need to go in Negril without us having to settle on a price. They know I'm going to pay them fairly because we already negotiate the price.

If it's just me and I'm taking a quick trip down the road then I'll look for a route taxi and I'll just give them $2.

A bus won't deviate from its route or wait while you take cash out of the ATM...unless of course you charter a bus.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

Lola and Walleye.....Thanks for the response. That is the info I was looking for. I was thinking that it was probably 120 or 130 j, but was unsure. Thanks to the rest of you as well, even though I am well aware of how to higher a private charter. At 30 plus trips, taxis are something that we a pretty familiar with . Again, I was just curious what the current actual local rate was. Is there a website that lists all the rates?

User Info Menu

@pamc12345 - was curious myself and found this http://ta.org.jm/content/route-taxi-fares

40 days to go!

User Info Menu

Thanks Maggie! That is exactly what I was looking for! Six weeks for me!