Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artwork

User Info Menu

Artwork

Hello boardies, we are going to participate in the marathon in a few weeks. We have a empty wall at home we would love to put some Jamaican artwork on. Concerning art, we are babes in the woods. We're unsure if we would want a water color,oil , or a print. We want bright colors that will last for years. A local art supplier told us we could roll up any type of painting and place it in a tube with no damage. We would like something around 4x5 feet. I'm not sure how the airline would charge for the tube ,which would be close to 5 ft. tall. Possibly we could ship it direct back-we have no experience in that. This is our ninth trip , we've hauled back the usual items each year but we want a nice painting to take our minds off 30 below zero. We wouldn't want the usual picture of lovelies with baskets. Perhaps a landscape of the beach. or the coming and goings at Red Dragon, maybe Lemberts bus- landing at a crawl stop. We appreciate any help we can get. Dave & Polly

User Info Menu

Re: Artwork

Karl Ricketts does amazing work! Reach out and let him know what youre looking for!

https://www.facebook.com/karl.ricketts.758

Www.karlricketts.com
    Last edited by murph; 11-07-2015 at 08:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Rohan at Roots Bamboo sounds perfect for you. We have 2 of his paintings. Vivid tropical colors. Nice guy too.

User Info Menu

Just bought a Karl Ricketts painting this past trip (Early October). It immediately became one of my prized possessions. Love it. You can't go wrong with Karl, I'll buy more of his work in the future. Like everything else in Jamaica, negotiate a price that is fair to the level of the artist's talent and your pocketbook. This isn't chinese knock-off stuff, the guy can paint.

User Info Menu

We have one of Karl's paintings in our bedroom. It's not as big as you're looking for, maybe 2ft by 1ft?

You'll spend more to have the canvas stretched and framed then you will on the painting itself.

We rolled it up and put it in the suitcase, no issues at all.

User Info Menu

Thanks everybody, it looks like a larger picture might be difficult finding on short notice. I'm reluctant to ask some one to create one , then not be happy with it.

User Info Menu

About 5 years ago, I made a deal to have Karl paint a picture of where we were staying, gave him a down payment. He showed up several days later with the finished product which now proudly hangs over our fireplace.
    If you have time you should consider doing the same.

User Info Menu

I have 5 of Karl's paintings, they brighten my day when it's cold and dreary here in faux Siberia.

User Info Menu

I carry tubes on flights for work all the time. Karl's canvases should roll up well and fit in the overhead easily. I've never been charged for it . . in fact they've never even counted it as an additional carry on. You can get tubes at a local Kinko's/Fedex . . . and get some tape so the end caps stay in place.

I also have around 5 or 6 of Karl's paintings and recommend him.

As with any such transaction negotiate/confirm size, price and delivery date as much as possible up front.

User Info Menu

We have purchased several paintings from Karl. very nice work and reasonable.