Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Global Entry and TSA Precheck Experience?

User Info Menu

Global Entry and TSA Precheck Experience?

Sorry this is off-topic regarding Negril but I think some of you on this board are frequent travelers so I thought I'd ask here. Has anyone applied for either of these and is it worth it?

I read somewhere that the pre-check lanes are closed often at a lot of the airports which I believe defeats the purpose. In your experience are the pre-check lanes open more often than closed?

If you have Global Entry does it save you a lot of time by skipping the lines at Customs & using the kiosks?
    [http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Re: Global Entry and TSA Precheck Experience?

I got a GOES card this summer. We went to Europe and it was very quick skipping the lines for immigration. Those using the regular kiosks still had to wait to get to an immigration officer. I've used it domestically as well, very nice not having to remove shoes, belts, etc. I just came back from Vegas last night, there wasn't a lane at the first entry point I went to so I walked over to where there was one. There was a huge line, but pre=check only had one person in front of me. At $100 for 5 years I think it's well worth it.

User Info Menu

First, it depends totally on the airports you use. My local airport has 2 gates and only one security line, so precheck/GOES is worthless to me outbound. Then, it depends how often you fly. Returning from international travel, I tend to fly through PHL and the wait for baggage is always so long that skipping the 10 minute wait for immigration is irrelevant.

The list of airports with GOES is at http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-tr...ntry/locations. Note that neither Montego Bay nor Kingston are on the list. And I don't know where you went in Europe, but it doesn't appear to help much if any there.

Unless you fly really often, I can't see the effort and expense being worth it. For once or twice a year, no way.

User Info Menu

We have it and works great for us as we're traveling through Chicago o'hare. Much shorter lines leaving with pre check and upon arriving at o'hare. Does absolutely nothing for us entering or leaving Jamaica.

User Info Menu

Just to clarify, it doesn't do anything in Europe, it was when we came back in through Minneapolis that it helped.

User Info Menu

Thanks all. NoWorries4 me - we fly thru Chicago Midway usually so I hope its the same. I am an impatient person so I'm thinking it might be worth it to me. (Jamaica is great therapy for my impatience)

User Info Menu

Its very similar to Club Mobay, some trips its totally worth it and others its a waste. I had my GF beat me thru TSA in Las Vegas and she went thru the regular line while I went thru Pre-check. Other times it has saved me a good 15 or 20 mins. Like some said for our JA trips it makes no diff because our local airport only has one line open that early.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonMon View Post
    Its very similar to Club Mobay, some trips its totally worth it and others its a waste. I had my GF beat me thru TSA in Las Vegas and she went thru the regular line while I went thru Pre-check. Other times it has saved me a good 15 or 20 mins. Like some said for our JA trips it makes no diff because our local airport only has one line open that early.
    I agree with Ron...it's hit or miss but when it hit it's on point...my return from JA on Tuesday the line was extremely long atleast an hour or so wait and I was able to walk right through no check bags so I was out in 15mins...I was so HAPPY I had the Global it definitely was a HIT! You cant go wrong getting it
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home"
    Drink Eat be IRIE!

User Info Menu

The Global entry nearest interview location is in Chicago which is 2 hours away. The TSA precheck interview location is 1/2 hour away. Would the difference be worth the drive & day off work? As far as I can see the only difference is getting thru Customs faster, right?

User Info Menu

KitchenBeeotch- it has nothing to do with customs, it gets you through Immigration much quicker.